HELP Electromagnetism Problems

In summary, the magnetic field inside the inner solenoid will be stronger than the magnetic field outside the inner solenoid.
_gaussian
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to double check some solutions and inquire about a problem.

Homework Statement

1. A toroid is a coil of wire wrapped around a doughnut-shaped ring (a torus). For a tightly wrapped toroid with [tex]N[/tex] turns, the magnetic field lines of [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] form concentric circles inside the toroid, and the field is zero outside. Use Amperes law to find an expression for the magnetic field strength [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] at a radial position r from the axis of the toroid.
  2. A 100 cm diameter cyclotron uses a 1000 volt oscillating potential difference between the “dees” to accelerate protons.
    (a) What is the maximum kinetic energy of a proton in the beam emerging from the cyclotron
    if the magnetic field strength is 0.6 Tesla?
    (b) Estimate how many revolutions the proton makes before it emerges from the cyclotron.
  3. Two long solenoids are nested on the same axis as shown in the figure below. They carry
    identical currents, but in opposite directions. If there is no magnetic field inside the inner
    solenoid, what can you say about the numbers of turns per unit length, [tex]n_{outer}[/tex] and [tex]n_{inner}[/tex], of the two solenoids? Which one, if either, has the larger value?
  4. A messy loop of limp, flexible wire is placed on a frictionless tabletop and anchored at points a and b, as shown in the figure below. If a large current I is now passed through the wire, how will the wire move? What shape do you think the wire will assume, and why? Explain your answer with words and diagrams.

Homework Equations

For an toroid:
[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 iN}{2\pi r}[/tex]
For an ideal solenoid:
[tex]\vec{B} = \mu_0 in[/tex]
(where n is the number of turns per unit length)
For a circulating charged particle:
[tex]r = \frac{mv}{|q|B}[/tex]
For a cyclotron:
In resonance
[tex]f = f_{osc}[/tex]
[tex]|q|B = 2\pi mf_{osc}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Ampere's Law:
[tex]\oint \vec{B}\cdot ds = \oint \vec{B}\cos{\theta}\cdot ds = \mu_0 i_{enc}[/tex]
Since:
[tex]i_{enc} = iN[/tex]
and,
[tex]\oint \vec{B}\cdot ds = \vec{B}(2\pi r)[/tex]
Then,
[tex]\vec{B}(r) = \frac{\mu_0 iN}{2\pi r}[/tex]

I've tried to use the following equations but end up getting different answers for [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}^2 - qV = 0[/tex]
As well as rearranging:
[tex]r = \frac{mv}{|q|B}[/tex]

What to do?

Since [tex]R_{out} > R_{in}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{B}_{out}= \vec{B}_in[/tex]
Equating them (using the equation with dependence on R)
[tex]n = \frac{N}{l}[/tex]
[tex]nl = N[tex]
[tex]\frac{\mu_0 in_{out}l}{2R} = \frac{\mu_0 in_{in} }{2R}[/tex]
Proportionality shows:
If [tex]R_{out}> R_{in}[/tex] then for [tex]\vec{B}_{out} = \vec{B}_{in}[/tex] then [tex]n_{in}>n_{out}[/tex].

Intuitively, I think the wire will remain still, but I think I must calculate something with the line integral?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help!

Please help!

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic forces and the interactions between electrically charged particles.

What are some common problems encountered in electromagnetism?

Some common problems in electromagnetism include calculating the strength of an electric or magnetic field, determining the force between two electrically charged particles, and finding the direction of an electric or magnetic field.

What are the units of measurement used in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, the units of measurement commonly used are volts (V) for electric potential, amperes (A) for electric current, and teslas (T) for magnetic field strength.

How is electromagnetism related to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics such as mechanics and thermodynamics. For example, electromagnetic forces play a role in the motion of charged particles and the behavior of materials in different temperatures.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications such as in electric motors, generators, telecommunication devices, and medical equipment such as MRI machines. It also plays a significant role in the functioning of electronic devices like computers and smartphones.