1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP Energy problem

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    HELP!!!Energy problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 20kg object is acted on by a conservative force given by F=-3.0x-5.0x^2, with F in newtons and x in meters. take the potential energy associated with the force to zero when the object is at x=0
    a) what is the potential energy of the system associated with the force when the object is at x=2.0m?
    b)If the object has a velocity of 4.0m/s in the negative direction of the x axis when it is at x=5.0m, what is its speed when it passes through the origin?
    c)What are the answers to a) and b) if the potential energy of the system is taken to be -8.0J when the object is at x=0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)I can get the equation for finding out PE by integrating F=-3.0x-5.0x^2, which is -1.5x^2-5/3x^3
    sub 2.0 into x
    then the answer I got is -19.3
    b) I don't really know how to approach this question, but I know that I have to somehow relate the conservative energy to speed...maybe to kinetic energy???1/2mv^2???
    c)
    a. -8=-1.5x^2-5/3x^3
    x=-2.04m
    but the question says when x=0, so I don't know what did i do wrong with this question
    b. I didn't know how to do b), so I don't really know how to det the answer for this too.

I need some help on this. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2
    Re: HELP!!!Energy problem

(b) is simple, just put in x=2 into your answer of part (a).

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3

Then isn't the answer same as a)

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

Oh yeah, sorry :). For part (b) you have to use energy conservation. Kinetic energy (T=mvv/2) plus potential energy is a constant at any x, so just make an equation at for two points.

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5

E=K+PE
    find PE by plugging in the x value
    and plug in the x values and m into K then I got the energy...
    sorry, but how can you get the speed from the answer I got for the energy
    And also do you know whether i did part c right or not?

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

Consider points x_1=0 and x_2=5.
    Then by energy conservation:

[tex]\frac{mv_1^2}{2} + V(x_1) = \frac{mv_2^2}{2} + V(x_2)[/tex]

You have one of the speeds, so just solve for the other one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?