Help: Equations of Locus - Check & Get Help

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, the first locus is the set of points that are 10 units from the origin, represented by the equation x^2+y^2=100. The second locus is the set of points that are 3 units from the circumference of the circle with center (0,0) and radius 5 units, represented by the equation x^2+y^2=25. These equations can be simplified to x^2+y^2=10^2 and x^2+y^2=2^2, respectively.
aisha
CHECK PLZ HELP a little

Determine the equation of the following locus.

1)-Locus of points that are 10 units from the origin.
x^2+y^2=100?

2-The points 3 units from the circumference of the circle with centre (0, 0) and radius 5 units
What does the 3 units from the circumference mean? is the equation x^2+y^2=25?

Are these two correct I am not sure about the second one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HELP! are my answers correct? :cry:

What does the 3 units from the circumference mean?

it means 3 units from the circle. The question asks for the set of points a distance of three units from the circle defined by [itex] x^2 +y^2 = 25[/itex].

[tex] x^2+y^2=8^2?[/tex] since the radius is 5+3?

That's half of it.

Here's a hint: think INside the box (or in this case, the circle!)

and another locus is x^2+y^2=2^2

I should simplify both of these to 4 and 64 right?

Yep, that's fine~

1. What is a locus in math?

A locus is a set of points that satisfy a certain condition or set of conditions. In math, it is often represented as a curve or line on a graph.

2. How do I find the equations of a locus?

To find the equations of a locus, you need to first identify the conditions or restrictions that define the locus. Then, use algebraic methods to manipulate these conditions into an equation that represents the locus.

3. What are some common types of loci in math?

Some common types of loci in math include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These are all formed by different conditions or restrictions on the points in the locus.

4. How do I check if a point lies on a given locus?

To check if a point lies on a given locus, simply plug in the coordinates of the point into the equation of the locus. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the locus. If it is false, then the point does not lie on the locus.

5. Can I get help with understanding equations of locus?

Yes, there are many resources available for understanding equations of locus. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek help from a math tutor or teacher. You can also use online tools to graph and visualize different types of loci to aid in your understanding.