Help eulers method question

• Thread starter djspuddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary: I'll give you a hint: The new volume has to be equal to the initial volume plus the inflow over that time minus the outflow over that time. You'll have to use a formula for the outflow rate that depends on the volume in the tank. Take it from there.In summary, the given problem involves a tank with two inflows and one outflow, operating at atmospheric pressure. The outflow is proportional to the liquid level in the tank. The solution involves calculating the time taken for the tank to fill when the outflow is shut and the tank is initially empty, the steady state liquid level in the tank, and the dynamic response of the system to attain steady state when one of the infl
djspuddy

Homework Statement

here is picture I've drawn up : http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/attachments/f12/20731d1297284244-five-iterations-euler-s-method-please-help-eulermethod.jpg
It is a tank fed by 2 streams with volumetric flow rates A& B - the tank operates at atmospheric pressure and drains naturally through C, The outlet flow rate C is known to be proportional to the liquid level in the tank.
question 1 = if C is shut and the tank is empty , calculate time taken for the tank to fill.

question 3 = calculate the steady state liquid level in the tank for the given conditions

question 4 = Assume that the system is at steady state with the inlets given, demonstrate how the system would respond dynamically to attain steady state if inlet A is was stopped. Show hand calculations for 5 iterations of the Euler method using step size of 20 minuites.

im just really stuck on question 4 - question 1 -3 i think I am ok on.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

managed to answer question 1 - = (6x4) - 0.15 = 23.85 mins for tank to fill

unsure the on question 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try again for the time to fill. Why are you subtracting the fill rate from the volume? The units are not even then same.

Why does the diagram state a flow rate for the outlet in units of m2/sec? Are you assuming that the areal velocity should be multiplied by the water height in the tank to yield the volumetric flow rate? If so, you should make this clear.

For part 4, you say to use a step size of 20. 20 what? Minutes? Hours? Seconds?

Last edited:
what i have done for question 1=
A=dh/dt = Qi-0 ?

Qi= 150/1000=0.15
( height x area) take away inlet flows added together 120+30 divided by 1000 =

(6x4) - 150/1000 = 23.85 mins - and gneill yes that's right about the velocity should be multiplied i think -

not sure on the question 4 - don't know where to start

please also check the picture link

Last edited:
V = 6m x 4m2 = 24m3

Rate = (120L/min + 30L/min)*1m3/1000L = 0.15m3/min

They have different units. You can't just subtract one from the other. It's like subtracting velocity from distance to find time -- it doesn't work that way.

thanks - I am struggling on question 4

Well, I don't know what your approach will be, but if it were me I'd first turn all the units into something manageable that I have a good "feel" for how they relate. For example, I'd express the volume in liters rather than cubic meters. That would tie in nicely with the inflow rates given in liters per minute. The outflow rate would become 30 liters per minute per meter of water height. Oh, and I'd express the area of the tank in terms of liters per meter of height (yes, m2 --> L/m)

Using these units you have:

Inflows:
FA = 120 L/min
FB = 30 L/min

Outflow:
VC = 30 L/min/m

Geometry:
Vol = 24000 L
Area = 4000 L/m

So given a volume of water V in the tank, the water height would be

h(V) = V/Area

and the outflow rate would be

Vout = h(V)*VC

Suppose you had a time step of ∆T = 20 minutes, assuming no change in rates, etc., over that timestep, can you write an expression for the new volume in the tank after that time ∆T?

1. What is Euler's method?

Euler's method is a numerical algorithm used for approximating solutions to ordinary differential equations. It is based on the idea of approximating a curve by many short straight line segments.

2. When is Euler's method used?

Euler's method is typically used when it is difficult or impossible to find an analytical solution to a differential equation. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How does Euler's method work?

Euler's method works by taking an initial value for the differential equation and using it to calculate an approximate solution at a small interval. This value is then used as the new initial value for the next interval, and the process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is reached.

4. What are the advantages of using Euler's method?

Euler's method is relatively simple to implement and requires minimal mathematical knowledge compared to other numerical methods. It is also computationally efficient, making it a popular choice for solving differential equations.

5. What are the limitations of Euler's method?

Euler's method can only provide an approximate solution and may not accurately represent the true solution to a differential equation. It also has a tendency to accumulate errors over multiple intervals, leading to less accurate results. Other numerical methods may be more appropriate for certain types of differential equations.