Help evaluating a line integral

In summary, the problem is that the author has forgotten how to integrate a line using u-1 and is looking for a substitution that will help them. They realize that t^3 can be simplified to t^2+1 and substitute this into the equation.
JHans
So, my multivariable class has just started line integrals, and I could use a little help with them. The problem I'm currently working on says:

Evaluate the line integral, where C is the given curve:

[tex]\int\limits_C \! xy \,ds[/tex]
[tex]C: x=t^2, y=2t, 0 \le t \le 1[/tex]

I realize that, by eliminating the parameter (note really necessary, but just for the sake of understanding), it is the curve [tex]x=(1/4)y^2, 0 \le y \le 2[/tex].

I've managed to get this down to 4 times the integral, from 0 to 1, of (t^3) sqrt(t^2 + 1), but I have no idea where to go from here. Is there something I've majorly screwed up on?

Physics news on Phys.org
JHans said:
So, my multivariable class has just started line integrals, and I could use a little help with them. The problem I'm currently working on says:

Evaluate the line integral, where C is the given curve:

[tex]\int\limits_C \! xy \,ds[/tex]
[tex]C: x=t^2, y=2t, 0 \le t \le 1[/tex]

I realize that, by eliminating the parameter (note really necessary, but just for the sake of understanding), it is the curve [tex]x=(1/4)y^2, 0 \le y \le 2[/tex].

I've managed to get this down to 4 times the integral, from 0 to 1, of (t^3) sqrt(t^2 + 1), but I have no idea where to go from here. Is there something I've majorly screwed up on?

Try substitution with [itex]u=t^2+1[/itex]. Consider

[tex]t^3 \sqrt{t^2+1}\ dt = t^2 (t^2+1)^{1/2} \cdot t\ dt[/tex]

There must be something I'm blanking on from my days in calculus one. I feel like the deeper I go into calculus, the more prone I am to making beginner's errors.

Why can I substitute with u = (t^2) +1? If I separate (t^3) into t(t^2), what does the (t^2) term become in terms of u?

JHans said:
There must be something I'm blanking on from my days in calculus one. I feel like the deeper I go into calculus, the more prone I am to making beginner's errors.

Why can I substitute with u = (t^2) +1? If I separate (t^3) into t(t^2), what does the (t^2) term become in terms of u?

=) I think you might be overthinking the problem. If [itex]u=t^2+1[/itex], can you use this equation to find [itex]t^2[/itex] in terms of u?

... Wow. That was very obvious, haha. I'm so used to setting u as a convenient expression in terms of t that I didn't even consider subtracting 1.

Is this new integral in terms of u correct?

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_1^2 \! (u-1)\sqrt{u} \,du[/tex]

In which case I would just multiply the function of interest through and antidifferentiate?

Looks good to me!

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It is typically denoted by ∫C f(x,y) ds, where C is the curve or path and f(x,y) is the function being integrated.

How is a line integral evaluated?

To evaluate a line integral, the curve or path must be parameterized and the function being integrated must be expressed in terms of the parameter. The integral can then be solved using standard integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

What are some applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force along a path, finding the mass or center of mass of a wire or rod, and determining the flow of a fluid through a given curve or path.

What is the difference between a line integral and a double integral?

A line integral is calculated along a curve or path in two dimensions, while a double integral is calculated over a region in two dimensions. Additionally, a line integral only has one variable of integration (the parameter), while a double integral has two variables of integration (x and y).

Are there any special cases for evaluating line integrals?

Yes, there are special cases for evaluating line integrals, such as when the curve or path is closed (forming a loop) or when the function being integrated is a conservative vector field. In these cases, the integral can often be simplified or calculated using a different method.