Help evaluating this limit

• Thread starter hpthinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, when evaluating the limit x--> \Pi, you can use the trigonometric identity \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin \left( x \right)}{x} = 1 to simplify the expression. By multiplying the top and bottom by 5, the limit can be rewritten as 5sin(x) / 5x - 5 \pi, which simplifies to -5sin(x) / 5\pi. Additionally, by substituting t = x - \pi, the limit can be rewritten as \lim_{t \to 0} \frac{ sin(5(t- \pi))}{t} = \lim_{t \to 0} \frac
hpthinker

Homework Statement

evaluate the limit: Limit x--> [tex]\Pi[/tex]
sin(5x) / x-[tex]\Pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 0/0 since I figure I can't cancel anything out...I think there's another way of solving it I just don't know what way it is...

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you familiar with the following limit ?

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin \left( x \right)}{x} = 1 [/tex]

Last edited:

Yes so if I multiplied top and bottom by 5. I would get 5sin(x) / 5x - 5 [tex]\pi[/tex] wouldn't that give me something like 5/-5[tex]\pi[/tex] ?

hpthinker said:
Yes so if I multiplied top and bottom by 5. I would get 5sin(x) / 5x - 5 [tex]\pi[/tex] wouldn't that give me something like 5/-5[tex]\pi[/tex] ?

I misread your question.

Sorry about that.Why don't you do the following [tex] t = x - \pi [/tex]

Your limit becomes [tex] \lim_{t \to 0} \frac{ sin(5(t- \pi))}{t} = \lim_{t \to 0} \frac{-sin(5t)}{t} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is approaching, rather than the actual value at that point.

2. How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, to simplify the expression and find the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches from one direction, either from the left or the right. In contrast, a two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches from both directions.

4. Can a limit exist even if the function is undefined at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is undefined at that point. For example, the limit of the function f(x) = 1/x as x approaches 0 exists, even though the function is undefined at x = 0.

5. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to define and analyze the behavior of functions, particularly at points where the functions may not be defined. They are also essential in the development of calculus, as they are used to calculate derivatives and integrals.