Exploring Solutions to Sin(x) and Arcsin(x) with Pi/4 and Radians

• Thread starter Karma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the problem sin-(1/sqrt2) and the potential for multiple solutions within a given interval. It also clarifies the difference between using degrees and radians and the importance of specifying which unit of measurement is being used. The solutions to the problem are all numbers of the form pi/4 + 2npi and 3pi/4 + 2npi, and the principal value for arcsine is pi/4.
For the problem sin-(1/sqrt2) ...(sin-.. being arcsin) the answer is pi/4 but is that the only answer becuase pi/4 lies between [-90,90]?

or would it also be right to say PI-4PI=3pi/4? (although i think this is wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the graph of sin(x) looks like? It goes up from (0,0) to ([itex]\pi/2[/itex], 1) then back down to ([itex]\pi[/itex],0). You are right that sin([itex]3\pi /4) is also equal to [itex]\sqrt{2}{2}[/itex] but IF YOUR PROBLEM SPECIFIES THAT THE ANSWER MUST BE BETWEEN [itex]-\pi /2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. If it does not then [itex]3\pi /4[/itex] is the "principal" value (it's the value your calculator gives you) so if you are asking that "tan-1" be a single valued function, that would be its value. If you are solving "tan(x)= [itex]\sqrt{2}/2[/itex]" then there are an infinite number of solutions- rhe two you give plus any multiple of 2 [itex]\pi[/itex].

No the problem does not give the intervals of [-90,90]...just the question... so i can come to the conclusion that 3pi/4 is also correct (as is pi/4)

Halls.. My calculator gives me the answer of pi/4 though not 3pi/4 and where does the sqrt of 22 come from?

My "tex" messed up. It should have been [itex]\sqrt{2}/2[/itex].
Also the [itex]3\pi /4[/itex] was just a typo on my part. I meant, of course, [itex]\pi/4[/itex].
By the way- it is really bad practice to talk about "intervals [-90,90]" AND give values in terms of [itex]\pi[/itex]. You are going to have to choose whether you are working in degrees or radians! (I strongly recommend radians.)

Again, if your problem is to find all solutions to [itex]sin(x)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex], then the solutions are all numbers of the form [itex]\pi/4 + 2n\pi[/itex] and [itex]3\pi/4+ 2n\pi[/itex] where n is any integer. If your problem is to find [itex]Sin^{-1}(\sqrt{2}/2)[/itex] with arcsine as a single-valued function, then the only answer is [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. (Notice the capital "S" on "Sin-1". Many texts use the capital when they want to mean the single-valued function: the principal value.)

1. What is an easy question?

An easy question is a question that can be answered quickly and with little effort. It typically does not require a lot of prior knowledge or critical thinking to answer.

2. Why is it important to explain an easy question?

Explaining an easy question can help others understand the concept or topic better. It can also help to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings that may arise.

3. How should I go about explaining an easy question?

When explaining an easy question, it is important to use clear and simple language. Make sure to break down any complex terms or ideas and provide examples to further illustrate the concept.

4. Can an easy question have more than one answer?

Yes, an easy question can have multiple correct answers. This is especially true for subjective questions that may have different interpretations or perspectives.

5. Are there any tips for coming up with an easy question to explain?

One helpful tip is to think about a topic or concept that you are familiar with and try to come up with a question that can be answered in a few short sentences. Another tip is to ask yourself what you would consider an easy question about a particular topic and use that as a guide.