Help - Explain physics of fluids

In summary: Fluid Dynamics ExpertIn summary, the conversation discusses the physics of laminar flow, a smooth and orderly movement of a fluid down an uneven surface. This is in contrast to turbulent flow, which is chaotic and unpredictable. The behavior of laminar flow is determined by factors such as viscosity and surface roughness, and can be predicted using equations such as the Navier-Stokes equations and the Reynolds number. Further research and experimentation is recommended for a better understanding of this phenomenon.
the_force
Hi everyone,

I need some help from some of you for a little research I am doing.

I am trying to figure out the Physics of Fluid running down a uneven surface, like water running down the windshield of your car. Seemingly random and yes with a degree of randomness but also with a degree of predictability. All one needs to do is keep measuring deviation of fluid from the norm, the greater deviation the greater the probability that fluid when and if it snaps back into norm
will result in fluid being very predictable for a short while.

It is just like the Hurst cycle theory.

I am trying to apply this to my charting. Can anyone help me with the physics and math aspect of it? Help explain this in greater detail, or send me to a place where it will show me?

Take care,
-Force

Physics news on Phys.org
Field

Hi ForceField,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking help for your research. The phenomenon you are describing is called laminar flow, which is the smooth and orderly movement of a fluid down an uneven surface. This is in contrast to turbulent flow, which is characterized by chaotic and unpredictable movement.

The physics behind laminar flow is based on the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe the motion of fluids and can be used to predict the behavior of a fluid on a surface.

One key factor in determining the behavior of laminar flow is the viscosity of the fluid. Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and it plays a significant role in the formation and stability of laminar flow. A more viscous fluid, such as honey, will exhibit more laminar flow than a less viscous fluid, such as water.

Another important aspect is the surface roughness of the uneven surface. The rougher the surface, the more likely it is for the laminar flow to become turbulent.

As for the math aspect, there are various equations and models that can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of laminar flow. The Reynolds number, for example, is a dimensionless quantity that can be used to determine whether a fluid flow will be laminar or turbulent.

I would recommend consulting textbooks or online resources on fluid mechanics and laminar flow for more detailed explanations and equations. Additionally, you may want to consider conducting experiments or simulations to further explore the behavior of laminar flow on uneven surfaces.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

The physics of fluids is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of fluids, which include both liquids and gases. It is a complex and fascinating subject that has many real-world applications, such as in weather forecasting, engineering, and medicine.

One of the key concepts in the physics of fluids is fluid dynamics, which is the study of how fluids move and interact with their surroundings. This includes understanding the forces that act on fluids, such as gravity, pressure, and viscosity, and how these forces affect the fluid's behavior.

In the case of water running down an uneven surface, the fluid is subject to the force of gravity, which causes it to flow downhill. However, the uneven surface also creates variations in the pressure and viscosity of the fluid, which can cause it to deviate from a smooth, predictable flow. The degree of randomness in this flow depends on the characteristics of the fluid and the surface it is flowing on.

To understand this in more detail, we can look at the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid's density, viscosity, and velocity, as well as external forces acting on the fluid. By solving these equations, we can predict the behavior of the fluid as it flows down an uneven surface.

In terms of the Hurst cycle theory, this can be thought of as measuring the deviation of the fluid from its norm, or expected behavior. Just like how the Hurst cycle theory suggests that past trends can help predict future trends in financial markets, studying the behavior of fluids can also help predict their future behavior.

As for the math aspect of this, it involves using mathematical equations and models to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids. This can range from simple equations, such as Bernoulli's principle, to more complex mathematical models that take into account multiple variables.

In conclusion, the physics of fluids is a vast and complex field that involves understanding the behavior of fluids and how they interact with their surroundings. By studying the forces and equations that govern fluid dynamics, we can gain a better understanding of how fluids behave and use this knowledge to make predictions and applications in various fields. I hope this helps in your research and understanding of the topic.

1. What is fluid?

Fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container. This includes liquids, gases, and plasmas.

2. What is the physics of fluids?

The physics of fluids is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of fluids under various conditions, such as flow, pressure, and temperature.

3. How do fluids behave under different conditions?

Fluids can behave differently depending on the conditions they are subjected to. For example, they can flow in a specific direction, exert pressure on their surroundings, and change temperature when heated or cooled.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid physics?

Fluid physics has numerous real-world applications, including understanding weather patterns, designing aircraft and watercraft, developing medical treatments, and studying natural phenomena such as ocean currents and the movement of blood in the human body.

5. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to the physics of fluids?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used in the study of fluid dynamics to explain phenomena such as lift in airplane wings and the flow of water through pipes.