Help figuring out Tension Force

In summary, we have a problem involving Arlene walking across a high wire with a sag of 10.0° at the midpoint. We are given her mass of 50.0 kg and need to find the tension in the rope at this point. After analyzing the forces acting on Arlene, we can use the formula ∑F=0, where ∑F is the sum of all the forces. This includes her weight pulling down, the tension forces of the rope pulling up, and the horizontal tension forces pulling left and right. From there, we can use trigonometry to determine the tension in the rope.
Damie904
1.Homework Statement
4-42fig.gif

Arlene is to walk across a high wire strung horizontally between two buildings 13.0 m apart. The sag in the rope when she is at the midpoint is 10.0°. If her mass is 50.0 kg, what is the tension in the rope at this point?
So I know:
Mass=50kg
Acceleration=0 m/s2

Homework Equations

This is the part I need help with because I'm not exactly sure what formula to use to find tension motion. Since F=ma would just give me 0 which would be incorrect.
The only other Formula I can think of is 2cos(theta)Ty=mg, but I'm not too sure if that's correct. Plus, I don't know what Ty is.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resolving the tension along the vertical axis should not give [itex]2cos(\theta)T_{y}=mg[/itex]. What do you think it should?

You are sort of correct that the F=ma=0. Really, it is that ∑F=0, where ∑F is the sum of all the forces acting on Arlene. I think you see that is her weight pulling down, but what is pushing her up? Something has to be if ∑F=0.

Consider that the point under her feet is being pulled left by one part of the rope and right by the other part of the rope. Those forces are ±Tx.

Each of the two parts of the rope are also pulling her up. The upward force of one part would be Ty.

Do you see why there would be 2Ty? And why that would equal mg?

(Check your notes or your text: I think you'll see that you've mistranscribed 2cos(theta)Ty=mg)

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that is exerted when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a contact force, which means it can only occur when there is physical contact between the object and the force acting on it.

2. How is tension force different from other types of forces?

Tension force is different from other types of forces because it is always directed away from the object and along the direction of the force applied. This is in contrast to compression force, which is directed towards the object.

3. How do I calculate tension force?

Tension force can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the object is not accelerating. If the object is accelerating, you will need to take into account the net force acting on the object.

4. What factors can affect tension force?

The factors that can affect tension force include the mass of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is resting on. Additionally, any external forces acting on the object, such as gravity or air resistance, can also affect the tension force.

5. How can I use tension force in real-world applications?

Tension force has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in construction to support bridges and structures, in sports equipment like ropes and cables, and in transportation systems such as elevators and ski lifts. Understanding tension force can also help in designing and building stronger and more efficient structures and machines.