Find the Perfect Binocular for Stargazing: Expert Recommendations and Reviews

• Thread starter Maxwells Demon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a binocular for stargazing, with a budget of $100-250. Suggestions were made for Celestron or Orion 10x50 binoculars as a good starting point for a beginner, with a recommendation to prioritize good optics and construction over brand names. Other brands were also mentioned, with a suggestion to explore the binoculars.com website for options. Additional advice included investing in a star atlas, a field guide, and a star-finder for planning and recording observations. The conversation also referenced a website with tutorials on binoculars.
Maxwells Demon
Hello everyone..

I'm looking for a binocular to look at the stars.. I don't want a telescope, just a pair of binoculars.

I'm a total newbie in this market, I don't even know any brands or anything.. Oh perhaps Carl Zeiss?

Well, It has to be in the range of 100 - 250 $, but a good brandname is more important..

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Actually, you can get small binocs to get you started for less than $100. If you're just beginning to stargaze, a 10x50 from Celestron or Orion will be a good one to start with. It's been a while since I followed prices on astro-gear, so things might have changed. Bigger binocs will generally be heavy and will also provide you with a smaller field.

This one's somewhat bigger than the size mentioned above, but I've heard good things about it.
http://www.binoculars.com/products/celestron-skymaster-15x70-center-focus-14955.html

:bugeye: An new atronomy buff that DOESN'T have to be convinced to start with binocs instead a $5,000 scope?

Wow, congrats - you're starting off on the right foot!

look for good optic's and construction over brand names on new stuff
brands get sold or deside to sell china made junk these days
with their good ''name'' on it

pawn shops and garage sales can produce old quality stuff
just watch out for mold inside

camera corps are about the best bets

Is Celestron the best brand for looking at planets and the moon?

Is Celestron Skymaster the only binocular made especially for astronomical use??

Maxwells Demon said:
Is Celestron Skymaster the only binocular made especially for astronomical use??
Celestron's not the only brand out there. If you further explore the site (binoculars.com) you can find binocs that suit your need. There's a panel on the left side of the main page which categorises binoculars, and the brands are also listed below.

My advice is to get binoculars made by companies known for their great optics, and buy their basic 7x50s. Mine are Nikons. A company like Nikon produces great optics and is less likely to produce clunkers. Beware of companies that re-brand stuff made overseas. Sometimes the quality is good, but they may not have adequate quality control if they are buying from the lowest-cost producers. Usually the basic 7x50s are less money than the more exotic/compact models. I use my Nikons a lot more than my telescopes because there is no set-up time, and if there's a break in the clouds I can be out on the back deck in seconds. Don't be afraid to pay a little more than you might want to for fully-multicoated optics and a good reputable manufacturer. If you like astronomy, you're going to be using that instrument for many, many years. Save enough money for a good set of charts, so you can learn your way around the sky. Paper charts and binos are THE way for a beginner to start out IMO. I suggest Tirion's SkyAtlas 2000 and maybe a Peterson Field Guide to give you ideas on what to search for. A Whitney star-finder is a good investment too - just a few bucks and it shows you what's above your horizon any time of night at any day of the year. It's great for planning observations - keep a spiral-bound notebook and make your plans in that, then record your observations in that, too. Some 3M Post-its will be handy, too, to flag your charts with observing targets. Good luck!

http://www.russsscope.net/

That is the site of russwalters, who is one of the PF mentors who works on the Astronomy section of these forums. I think he has some tutorials about binocs somewhere on his page.

1. What features should I look for in a binocular for stargazing?

When looking for a binocular for stargazing, there are a few key features to consider. First, you'll want a high magnification power (at least 10x) to see distant objects clearly. Second, look for a large objective lens size (50mm or larger) to gather more light and improve image brightness. Lastly, make sure the binocular has a wide field of view to capture as much of the night sky as possible.

2. Is image stability important for stargazing binoculars?

Yes, image stability is crucial for stargazing binoculars. Since you'll be looking at distant objects in low light conditions, any shaking or movement can greatly impact your viewing experience. Look for binoculars with image stabilization technology, or use a tripod to keep the binoculars steady.

3. Are there any specific brands or models that are highly recommended for stargazing?

Some popular and highly recommended brands for stargazing binoculars include Celestron, Orion, and Nikon. Some recommended models include the Celestron SkyMaster 25x70, Orion 15x70 Astronomy Binoculars, and Nikon Aculon A211 10x50. However, it's important to do your own research and choose a binocular that fits your specific needs and budget.

4. Can I use any binoculars for stargazing or do I need a special type?

While any binocular can technically be used for stargazing, it's best to choose one specifically designed for this purpose. Regular binoculars may not have the necessary features and magnification power to provide a clear view of celestial objects. Stargazing binoculars often have special coatings and lenses to enhance image quality in low light conditions.

5. How much should I expect to spend on a good stargazing binocular?

The price of a stargazing binocular can vary greatly depending on the brand, features, and magnification power. Generally, a good quality stargazing binocular can range from $100 to $500. It's important to balance your budget with the features you need to find the best binocular for your stargazing needs.