1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding an equation

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was wondering if someone could aid me in finding a general equation for this data. In my physics lab we had to drop a small steel ball over a steel bounce plate and record the range from the base of the bounce plate that it went. This was done 18 times from several heights and then averaged. I know I need to take into account the coefficient of restitution, what else should I take account of and do you have any suggestions about how to get a good equation going through this data.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've included a graph of the data below

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

If I recall correctly, MS Excel does have a "fit polynomial to curve" function, after you sketch a graph of the data you have. You can even choose the value of the highest order polynomial you want to approximate your curve with.
  4. Sep 19, 2008 #3
    I have to determine this using theory not using excel. Can someone please help me?
  5. Sep 19, 2008 #4
    Here is a better description of the problem

Attached Files:

• Help.doc
      File size:
      189.5 KB
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?