1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding double integrals

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Finding the double integral of the following

[tex]\int\int xy / (x^2+y^2+1)^1/2 dA[/tex]

R = [(x,y): 0<=x<=1, 0<=y<=1]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

ok I am having trouble integrating when I see the the quotient.

what I have done is,

[tex]\int\int xy(x^2+y^2+1)^-1/2 dy dx[/tex]

I can't remember the step taken to ingrate this.

I would add one to the exponent making it,

(2)xy(x^2+y^2+1)^1/2 <---but I am missing something else. I would need to integrate each y right?

so that would be

[tex]\int x(x^2+ (1/3)y^3 +1 ) ^1/2 dx[/tex]

and then I proceed integrating it again, this time for x... ???

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The stuff you put in LaTex isn't formatting, so I'll have to go with what I think the problem is.

You can change from the double integral over the region R to iterated integrals either by integrating with respect to y first and then x, or by integrating with respect to x first and then y. The region R is pretty simple, which makes matters simpler.

Using the same order that you chose, the inner integral is from y = 0 to y = 1, and the integrand is xy/(x^2 + y^2 + 1)^(1/2), and you're integrating with respect to y.

You can pull the factor of x outside the inner integral, since you're integrating w.r.t. y and x is constant on this strip.

A straightforward substitution will work: u = x^2 + y^2 + 1, so du = 2ydy. Remember, x is not varying, so x can be considered to be a constant.

Your integrand now looks like 1/2 u^(-1/2) du, and its antiderivative is 1/2 * 2 * u^(1/2) = u^(1/2).

Undoing the substitution gives (x^2 + y^2 + 1)^(1/2).

Evaluate the expression above at y = 1 and at y = 0, and subtract the second value from the first. This will leave you with a function of x alone.

Now, integrate the resulting function w.r.t. x and evaluate its antiderivative at x = 1 and at x = 0, and subtract the second expression from the first.

Don't forget that you pulled a factor of x out of the first integral; you'll need to incorporate this into the outer integrand.

Hope that's enough to get you going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?