Finding Eigenvectors for a Real Canonical Form of Matrix A

In summary, eigenvectors are special vectors that remain unchanged when a linear transformation is applied to them. They have important applications in mathematics and science, such as solving systems of differential equations and identifying patterns in data. To find eigenvectors, we first need to find the corresponding eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation of a matrix. Eigenvectors represent the directions of simple effects for a linear transformation and can help us understand the behavior of a system or simplify calculations. It is possible to have multiple eigenvectors for a given eigenvalue, but they may be scalar multiples of each other.
ItsKP

Homework Statement

Let A= [0 2 1;-2 3 0;1 0 2]
Determine a real canonical form of A and give a change of basis matrix P that brings the matrix into this form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found my eigenvalues to be 0, 2+i and 2-i.
So, taking 2+i, I get the real canonical form
[0 0 0; 0 2 1; 0 -1 2].
Now using 2+i how do I find the eigenvalues to find a P that contains the 3 eigenvectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think your eigenvalues should be
1, 2+i and 2-i

1. What are eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that do not change direction when a linear transformation is applied to them. In other words, they are scaled versions of themselves after the transformation. They are commonly used in mathematics and science to represent important properties of a system.

2. Why do we need to find eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are useful for a variety of applications, such as solving systems of differential equations, analyzing data in linear algebra, and understanding the behavior of complex systems. They can also help us identify patterns and important features in data.

3. How do we find eigenvectors?

To find eigenvectors, we first need to find the corresponding eigenvalues. This can be done by solving the characteristic equation of a matrix. Once we have the eigenvalues, we can plug them back into the original equation to find the eigenvectors. Alternatively, we can use a computer program or calculator to find eigenvectors for us.

4. What do eigenvectors represent?

Eigenvectors represent the directions along which a linear transformation has a simple effect. They are also associated with eigenvalues, which represent the scaling factor of the transformation along the corresponding eigenvector. In many cases, eigenvectors can help us understand the behavior of a system or make calculations easier.

5. Can there be more than one eigenvector for a given eigenvalue?

Yes, there can be multiple eigenvectors for a given eigenvalue. In fact, for most matrices, there are infinitely many eigenvectors associated with a single eigenvalue. However, these eigenvectors may be scalar multiples of each other. In other words, they all point in the same direction but have different lengths.