Discovering the Half Life of a Radioactive Substance: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the radioactive substance is reduced by 5% in 65 hours. The half life is .60x. To solve for x, take the log of both sides and move the x's to the left.
Amel

Homework Statement

Find the half life (in hours) of a radioactive substance that is reduced by 5% in 65 hours.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So looking around I find that A=A0e^-kt

but I am not really sure how to solve this without having an initial ammount.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need an initial amount. You're given the rate at which it decays, so mathematically:
[tex]A=A_{0}e^{0k}[/tex]
[tex]0.95A=A_{0}e^{65k}[/tex]

Last edited:
never mind figured it out. but if anyone xould help me wih this one it would be greatly appreciated.

Solve for x: 4x=ex + 1

how do you solve for x when its on both sides. How ever I did it the x would cancel.

Didn't see your post but thanks for the help. I used Q=Q0(1/2)(t/T) and it worked out for all my half-life problems.

Amel said:
never mind figured it out. but if anyone xould help me wih this one it would be greatly appreciated.

Solve for x: 4x=ex + 1

how do you solve for x when its on both sides. How ever I did it the x would cancel.

Take the log of both sides.

ok this is what I am doing

log of both sides, i get

(X) log(4) = (x + 1) log(e)

.60X = (X + 1) .43

I don't know how to get both Xs to one side. I have done this with natural log as well and get

X ln (4) = X+1

but how do I move the X

I even tried doing

4^X = exe1

If someone could walk me through this one please, I have been trying so much crap my algebra is getting all messed up.

Amel said:
ok this is what I am doing

log of both sides, i get

(X) log(4) = (x + 1) log(e)

.60X = (X + 1) .43

I don't know how to get both Xs to one side. I have done this with natural log as well and get

X ln (4) = X+1

but how do I move the X?

How would you solve

[tex]ax = x + 1\; ?[/tex]

Once you've figured that out, just let a = ln(4).

--Elucidus

Start from xln(4)=x+1. Are you familiar with subtraction :D? What could you subtract from the right that would bring all x's to the left?

ok so X is 2.588 right?

thats what I was doing the whole time as well but for some reason I would see x-x instead of 1.38X-X lol thank you. I know I was missing something. I hate when I am doing things this late and my mind is just not working right. on the last few I would not be able to do anything and then the next morning when its already to late (due at 5 AM online) the answers would come to me.

Ok now I can't get Solve for X : 4e6x=6e7x

then get 6x ln(4e) = 7x ln(6e)

6x (2.38) = 7x (2.79)

Now how do I get Xs on the same side without canceling them? if I divide then the Xs cancel.

This is now the same as Ax= Bx. How would you solve that? Seriously, if you can't solve equations like that, you need to go back and review basic algebra before you try problems involving exponentials and logarithms.

Amel said:
Ok now I can't get Solve for X : 4e6x=6e7x

then get 6x ln(4e) = 7x ln(6e)

6x (2.38) = 7x (2.79)

Now how do I get Xs on the same side without canceling them? if I divide then the Xs cancel.

Be careful! You are abusing the power rule of logarithms here.

The natural log of 4e6x is not 6x (ln 4e). It is ln(4) + 6x.

--Elucidus

What is half life and why is it important in science?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or for half of a sample to undergo a specific chemical reaction. It is important in science because it allows us to understand the rate of decay or reaction for various substances, which can have implications in fields such as medicine and environmental science.

How do you calculate half life?

The formula for calculating half life is: t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half life, ln(2) is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant or reaction rate. This formula can be applied to radioactive decay, chemical reactions, and other processes.

What is the difference between half life and mean life?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or react, while mean life is the average time it takes for all of the substance to decay or react. Mean life takes into account all of the different possible decay or reaction rates, while half life only focuses on the rate at which half of the substance changes.

How is half life used in radiometric dating?

In radiometric dating, scientists measure the amount of a radioactive isotope and its decay product in a sample. By knowing the half life of the isotope, they can calculate how long it has been since the sample was formed. This allows scientists to determine the age of objects such as fossils and rocks.

Can half life be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical environment can affect the rate of decay or reaction, which in turn can affect the half life. This is why it is important for scientists to carefully control and monitor these factors in experiments involving half life.