Finding Mistake: Calculate Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for Sliding Mass

• Thread starter bentael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the mass M is sliding down an inclined slide with a speed of 2.07 m/s. It stops at a distance S2 of 1.85 m on the level part of the slide. The distance S1 is 1.23 m and the angle theta is 33.9 degrees. To calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction, the work done by friction is set equal to the change in energy. Using the normal force, which is equal to the weight of the mass multiplied by the cosine of the angle, the friction force is determined. However, this calculation was incorrect as the normal force was incorrectly calculated as the weight multiplied by the sine of the angle. The correct calculation results in a coefficient of kinetic friction
bentael
When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.07 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.85 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.23 m and the angle theta = 33.9 degrees. Calculate the coefficient (mu) of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

click on this link to view the picture

http://gryphon.phy.umassd.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype13/prob27a_MechEnWFriction.gif

What I did so far:

Since the mass stops at the end then
Work = E(final) - E(initial)
Work = KEf + PEf - KEi - PEi
Work = 0 + 0 - 0.5mv^2 - mgh -> h = S1sin(theta)
Work also = F.d -> in this case F is the friction and d is the total distance

now to find the mu -> coefficient of friction I separated the mass since F(friction) = mu.N
N being the normal force perpendicular to the surcace

when sliding on the slope: N = m.g.sin(theta)
So Friction Force = - mu.m.g.sin(theta)
Work done = W1 = - mu.m.g.sin(theta).S1

when sliding at the bottom N = m.g
So Friction Force = - mu.m.g
Work done = W2 = - mu.m.mg.S2

Total Work as calculated at first = Work = -0.5mv^2 - mg = W1 + W2

-mu.m.g.sin(theta).S1 - mu.m.mg.S2 = -0.5mv^2 - mgS1sin(theta)

mu = [ 0.5v^2 - gS1sin(theta) ] / [ gsin(theta)S1 + gS2 ] =

mu = 0.356

BUT IT IS WRONG !
Help please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
when sliding on the slope: N = m.g.sin(theta)

Are you sure this is correct?

Delzac

oh ! No it's not correct ! N = m.g.cos(theta) !
Thanks for pointing that out !

What is the first step in finding a mistake?

The first step in finding a mistake is to identify the problem or error. This can be done by carefully reviewing the data or information and comparing it to the expected or desired outcome.

How can I prevent making mistakes in my research?

One way to prevent mistakes in research is to carefully plan and document the research process. This includes setting clear objectives, using reliable and valid methods, and double-checking data and results.

What should I do if I suspect a mistake in my data?

If you suspect a mistake in your data, it is important to review and verify the data. This can be done by checking for any inconsistencies or errors, consulting with colleagues or experts, and conducting further experiments if necessary.

What is the role of peer review in finding mistakes?

Peer review is an important process in science that involves having other experts in the field review and evaluate research before it is published. This helps to identify any potential mistakes or flaws in the research and ensures the accuracy and validity of the findings.

What should I do if I find a mistake in my published work?

If you find a mistake in your published work, it is important to acknowledge and correct the mistake as soon as possible. This can be done by issuing a correction or retraction, and providing an explanation for the mistake. It is also important to learn from the mistake and take steps to prevent similar errors in the future.