1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding moles of pain killer/moles of hydrogen ion in a pain killer w/ titration

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
    [NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
    v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

2. Relevant equations

C1V1=C2V2

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I dont know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I cant get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.

All that said, I could really use some guidance on this as to what I've don't correctly and where I went wrong, as well as where to go from here. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to distinguish between the tablet-or-capsule and the active monoprotic acid ingredient(the componant which you titrated). You are only titrating the ACID in the sample; the target acid is only a fraction of the entire sample.

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    Anyone?

5. May 14, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the answer. Why doesn't that make sense to you? The painkiller is a monoprotic acid, yes?

here it is again in the statement of your problem...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?