Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding paper citations.

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Can anyone reccomend a website for finding papers that have cited a particular paper? Google scholar can't even find the original, and Web of Science seems to only go back as far as 1970, and my paper was published in 1969.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What field? and in what journals would such a paper be cited?

4. Mar 19, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's always the good, old fashioned, bound Science Citation Index if you can't find an online resource that works for what you need to find.

5. Mar 19, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "google scholar can't even find the original". Google scholar works very well in finding the citations to my papers, even when they were made out of ArXiv papers. You may not be able to get those papers IF they require subscription, but you certainly get the full citation of those papers.

Zz.

6. Mar 19, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took it to mean that the article that's the focus of his interest is too old to be indexed online.

7. Mar 19, 2007 #6
    I have access to actual articles dating back from 1969 to mid 1970's, They are all physics, Including Canadian, American and soviet journal of physics..
    so if it's physics and from one of these 3 journals, I'll see if I can take a look.

8. Mar 19, 2007 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Geology/sedimentology. The original paper was in the proceedings of the yorkshire geological society, but any citations could be in Geological magazine, Sedimentology, proceedings of various geological societies, speleological journals etc.

I'll have a look for one of these. Thanks.

Searching the paper title brings up three results, but none of them directly relating to the paper I want. Searching the journal title & year brings up a few citations by other papers, but no results from the journal itself so it looks like it hasn't actually been indexed on google scolar.

9. Mar 19, 2007 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Its not, but thanks for the offer :)

10. Mar 19, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Try -

Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society

Possibly in one of the indexes mentioned in the last paragraph.

If that doesn't work -

http://earth.leeds.ac.uk/ygs/ or

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/subjects/ygs/
    The YGS Library's holdings are included in the Library's Web Catalogue.

Good luck!

11. Mar 20, 2007 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Thanks Astro! I'll see if I can find anything with those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?