Help Finding Surface area with Double Integrals. (work shown)

In summary, the surface area of f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} above the region R=\{(x,y):0\leq f(x,y) \leq 1\} is \sqrt{2}
KSCphysics
find the surface area of [tex]f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] above the region
[tex]R=\{(x,y):0\leq f(x,y) \leq 1\}[/tex]

well.. here's what the answer should be.. [tex]\sqrt{2} \ \theta[/tex]

1. formula for Surface area:
[tex]\int_{R} \int \sqrt{1+f_{x}(x,y)^2+f_{y}(x,y)^2} \ dA[/tex]

2. next i need to find the region:
so if [tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex]
then... [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
which means that our region is from
[tex]0 \leq r \leq 1 [/tex]
and we know [tex]0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\Pi}{2} [/tex]

3. [tex]f_{x}(x,y)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} [/tex] [tex]f_{y}(x,y)=\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} [/tex]

4. [tex]\int_{0}^\frac{\Pi}{2} \int_{0}^1 \sqrt{1+(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})^2+(\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})^2} \ dr \ d\theta[/tex]

so [tex]\int_{0}^\frac{\Pi}{2} \int_{0}^1 \sqrt{2} \ dr d\theta[/tex]

somehow... something doesn't work... HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, you're going to get an answer in terms of a dummy variable theta?

cookiemonster

no i should get a Number.

oops the answer is sqrt(2) * Pi not sqrt(2) * theta

Okay. You have two errors.

First off, the area you're integrating over is slightly off. You're only integrating over the quarter circle in the first quadrant. 0<f(x,y)<1 in an entire circular region of radius one.

Second off, you forgot to add the change of variables correction when you changed from Cartesian to Polar coordinates. So there should be one more thing in the integral along with the sqrt(2).

cookiemonster

is that one more thing the r in the r dr dtheta?

You bet.

cookiemonster

your pretty smart... are you a professor? or teacher?

hrm.. tried it.. now i get (sqrt(2)*Pi)/4

I'm a lowly student...

What's your integral? I checked the answer and I got pi*Sqrt(2).

The 1/4 seems to indicate that you might still be integrating only the first quadrant.

cookiemonster

so i should integrate 0<Theta<2*Pi?

Well, yes... That is a full circle.

Remember that 0<f(x,y)<1 stipulates that the region to be integrated over has radius 1. And since we've got x^2 and y^2, it doesn't matter whether x or y is positive or negative. They both end up positive anyway.

Integrating to pi/2 only yields a quarter of the circle. The quarter in the 1st quadrant, in particular.

Anyway, since the whole thing is isotropic, you can literally just take the integral where you used 0 to pi/2 and multiply it by 4 to get the integral for 0 to 2pi. So the problem's done!

cookiemonster

i see.. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of using double integrals to find surface area?

The purpose of using double integrals to find surface area is to calculate the total area of a three-dimensional surface. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve for the surface area of objects with curved surfaces, such as spheres, cones, and cylinders.

2. How do you set up a double integral to find surface area?

To set up a double integral to find surface area, you first need to define the limits of integration for both variables (usually x and y). Then, you need to determine the function that represents the surface in terms of x and y. This function will be the integrand for the double integral, and the limits of integration will be used to create the bounds of the integral.

3. Can you provide an example of using double integrals to find surface area?

Sure! Let's say we want to find the surface area of a half-sphere with a radius of 3 units. We can set up the double integral as follows:

-330π r sin(θ) dr dθ

The outer integral represents the limits of integration for θ, which goes from 0 to π (since we are only looking at the half-sphere). The inner integral represents the limits of integration for r, which goes from 0 to the radius (3 units). The function r sin(θ) represents the surface of the half-sphere in terms of r and θ. Solving this double integral will give us the total surface area of the half-sphere.

4. Are there any tips for simplifying the process of using double integrals to find surface area?

One tip is to try and find symmetrical shapes or patterns in the surface you are trying to find the area of. This can help simplify the limits of integration and function that you need to use for the double integral. Additionally, it is important to practice and become familiar with setting up and solving double integrals, as it can be a complex process.

5. What other applications can double integrals have besides finding surface area?

Double integrals have many applications in mathematics and physics, such as calculating volume, center of mass, moment of inertia, and probability. They are also commonly used in vector calculus to solve for line and surface integrals. In general, double integrals are a powerful tool for solving a variety of problems that involve multiple variables and changing rates.