Unlocking the Mystery of Inclined Plane Motion: Analyzing a Block's Acceleration

In summary: It's important to be specific about what they mean by vertical.In summary, a wedge with face inclined at an angle theta to the horizontal is fixed on a rotating turntable. A block of mass m rests on the inclined plane and the coefficient of static friction between the block and the wedge is μ. The block is to remain at position R from the center of the turntable, as shown in the attachment. Find the components of the block's acceleration parallel and vertical to the inclined plane.
Vonladen
A wedge with face inclined at an angle theta to the horizontal is fixed on a rotating turntable. A block of mass m rests on the inclined plane and the coefficient of static friction between the block and the wedge is μ. The block is to remain at position R from the center of the turntable, as shown in the attachment. Find the components of the block's acceleration parallel and vertical to the inclined plane.

a=-Rω^(2)[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

I have been struggling to get to grips with this question for a while now. I don't understand how the acceleration is pointing in the opposite direction of the position vector r, which has a z axis component although there is no displacement in that direction. Have I interpreted the polar coordinates wrongly? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• physics2.PNG
    physics2.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah [itex] \hat{r}[/itex] is the unit vector in radial direction. So your problem is to find how much this given acceleration points(the projection of) parallel and vertical to the wedge i.e. change basis
Also you have to express omega as something you know a general wedge problem.
Edit:
The r coordinate points from the axis of revolution(z) and out to. Thats why it is negative, cause the block is accelerated in the opposite direction
And in fact there is an acceleration in z direction. Try to draw the situation where the polar coordinates(They look cylindrical to me) are defined by the axis in the middle.

Last edited:
also omega is [itex] \omega = \dot{\theta}[/itex] the azimutal angle differentiated in time.

Thanks for the reply. I still can't understand how there is an acceleration in the z direction. Surely its z coordinate does not change as its position on the wedge is locked?

No but try to be strict when defining your coordinate system. This pre-defined is seen from the bottom and close to the vertical axis. When you define yours you should try to get a usual centripetal acceleration. So the z-component is maybe zero? Which would make sense considering that the object dosen't accelerate vertical.
So my point is: Their definition looks like it is seen from the axis in the middle and your job is to use Newtons laws to find the components of a in 2 directions.

thanks I'm nearly there!
when they say vertical component of the inclined plane, do they mean perpendicular to it or parallel to the z-axis? sorry if this seems obvious but it's pretty vital to answering the question!

Sorry for the late answer, but vertical is parallel to their z-axis(probably also yours). Maybe it is 0 and maybe not.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is set at an angle with respect to the ground. It is commonly used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one point to another.

2. How does an inclined plane affect the motion of a block?

The inclined plane reduces the force needed to move the block by spreading it out over a longer distance. This results in a slower but more consistent acceleration of the block down the plane.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a block on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a block on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, and the force applied to the block.

4. How can we calculate the acceleration of a block on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a block on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = (gsinθ)/(1+(m/M)), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, m is the mass of the block, and M is the mass of the block plus the mass of the inclined plane.

5. What real-life applications use inclined planes and the principles of motion?

Inclined planes and the principles of motion are used in various real-life applications, such as ramps for wheelchairs, slides for playgrounds, and conveyor belts in industries. They are also used in transportation systems, such as roller coasters and ski lifts.