HELP Finding the focal length of a lens, I'm totally stuck

In summary, to determine the focal length and placement of a lens in a slide projector, it is necessary to use the equations 1/f = 1/s + 1/s' and M= h'/h = s'/s, where f is the focal length, s is the object distance, s' is the image distance, M is the magnification, and h and h' are the heights of the object and image respectively. By setting up simultaneous equations using the given values of the total distance between the slide and the screen and the magnification, the values of s and s' can be obtained to determine the focal length and placement of the lens. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and make an educated guess at
Kalibasa

Homework Statement

A slide projector needs to create a 81 cm high image of a 2.0 cm tall slide. The screen is 360 cm from the slide. Assume that it is a thin lens. What focal length does the lens need? How far should you place the lens from the slide?

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/s + 1/s' (f is the focal length, s is the object distance, s' is the image distance)
M= h'/h = -s'/s (M= magnification)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is driving me crazy! From the wording of the question, it sounds like s' + s= 360 cm. I also know that M= h'/h= 40.5cm, and therefore -s'/s = 40.5cm. Almost everything I've tried has involved these equations.

I tried plugging 360-s' in for s, so -s'/(360-s')=40.5. But when I solved this I got 369.1 cm for the image distance, and I don't see how that can be right given that this is more than the image distance and the object distance added together. It should be less than 360 cm.

All the other substitutions I've tried have gotten me nowhere, as I keep running into the same wall- even if I get an equation down to only s' or s, I still know neither value and can't solve it. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
First draw a diagram.

Second, you are given the total distance, object->lens->image ie 360 = s + s'
Most of the optics equations use these distance separately so you have an extra step.

I already know that s' + s= 360, but that hasn't helped. I know it's a vital piece of information, but I don't know how to use it- everything I've tried hasn't worked

You have 1/f = 1/s + 1/s' and you know s+s' = 360cm
M= h'/h = s'/s = 81cm/2cm = 40.5

So just from simultaneous equations you should be able to get s and s' (without any optics considerations)

Simultaneous equations? What do you mean? Haha I haven't taken algebra in ten years and maybe it's showing... :uhh:

s + s' = 360cm
s'/s = 40.5 so, s'=40.5 s

Substituting in the first equation
s + 40.5 s = 360cm so, s ( 1+40.5) = 360cm

Oh! That's exactly what I did except that I did -40.5 + 1 = -39.5 instead of 40.5+ 1= 41.5. Maybe I got too caught up in the signs from the equation...

Ok thank you so much! Haha that took a lot of posts

Kalibasa said:
. Maybe I got too caught up in the signs from the equation...
That's why you always draw a diagram first !

It also helps to have a guess at the asnwer. You know that the distance from the slide to the lens in a projector is only going to be 10cm or so, and if you have a magnification of about 40 this distance is going to be about 1/40 of the total distance.
So you are looking for an answer around 10cm

1. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and the point where light rays converge to form a sharp image. It is usually measured in millimeters (mm).

2. How do I find the focal length of a lens?

To find the focal length of a lens, you can use the lens formula: 1/f = (1/u) + (1/v), where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance. Alternatively, you can also use a lensometer or a ruler to measure the physical length of the lens.

3. What is the difference between a positive and a negative focal length?

A positive focal length means that the lens converges light rays and forms real images, while a negative focal length means that the lens diverges light rays and forms virtual images. Positive focal length lenses are used for magnification, while negative focal length lenses are used for reducing the size of images.

4. Can I find the focal length of a lens without knowing the object or image distance?

No, the focal length of a lens cannot be determined without knowing at least one of the object or image distances. The lens formula requires the use of either one of these distances to calculate the focal length.

5. Is there a difference in finding the focal length for different types of lenses?

Yes, the method for finding the focal length may vary depending on the type of lens. For a simple convex or concave lens, the lens formula can be used. However, for more complex lenses such as compound lenses or aspherical lenses, additional calculations or specialized equipment may be required.