Is Friction Involved in the Work Done on a Book by a Man Walking?

• Thread starter primarygun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the man is holding a book while walking and the work done on the book is done by the force exerted by the man to overcome the weight of the book. The only forces acting on the book are the gravitational force downwards and the force by the man upwards, resulting in no work being done on the book if the man is moving at a constant velocity. If the book is accelerating, the work done on it is still zero unless there is a force acting on it in the direction of motion. Friction between the book and the hand does not do any work as they do not move relative to each other.
primarygun
A man holding a book is walking, what's the work done on the book by him?
Is this should be accounted into the work done by friction but not by the man? Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
What is work? It is the force exerted times the displacement in the direction of this force. So what is/are the force(s) exerted and what is the displacement in the direction of this/these force(s)?

How is the man holding the book ??
Hint:- He is overcoming the wt. of the book to hold on to it.

This should give you some idea about the direction of motion and the book's displacement.

Yes I know the work done by his hand is 0.
But the book is moving, the force applied is the reaction force of his motion, so what's the work done?

primarygun said:
Yes I know the work done by his hand is 0.
But the book is moving, the force applied is the reaction force of his motion, so what's the work done?

I think you can best find the work done considering the kinetic energy and noticing that friction (between the book and hand) does no work as they do not move relative to each other.

But

da_willem said:
I think you can best find the work done considering the kinetic energy and noticing that friction (between the book and hand) does no work as they do not move relative to each other.

But isn't the book is moving relative to the ground?
There must have some force applied.

primarygun said:
But isn't the book is moving relative to the ground?
There must have some force applied.
No. Since there are no horizontal forces involved at all, the book won't need to be pushed along in the direction it is going. (Assuming the man walks with constant velocity).

The only forces on the book are the gravitational force downwards and the force by the man upwards.

Because the man is holding the book while he is walking, you can consider it part of the system. Thus no work is done individually on the book. And if the man is moving with a constant velocity then no work is done at all. The only forces acting on the book are the gravitational and the normal force of the hand on the book.

Last edited:
Tjl said:
if the man is moving with a constant velocity then no work is done at all. As Galileo said

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Umm.. I do not recollect ever mentioning Galileo in that response. Actually I am sure I did not... because that does not even have relation to him.

How about the force by man is vertically upward, and the man is running?
The friction is able to hold the book on the hand of the man,i.e. not falling+ staying at one position of the hand, what's the work done by the man?

Tjl said:
Umm.. I do not recollect ever mentioning Galileo in that response. Actually I am sure I did not...

Well you took it away after I mentioned it... o:) so sure you do not remember it... (You were referring to the PF member Galileo though)

No matter whether the book is accelerating or non-accelerate, the man is still giving work to it.

primarygun said:
No matter whether the book is accelerating or non-accelerate, the man is still giving work to it.

Ofcourse it matters if the book is accelerating or not, do you remember F=ma? If the book moves with a uniform velocity the resultant force on it is zero (Newtons first law, aka Galileo's principle). So the work done on it is also zero.

da_willem said:
Well you took it away after I mentioned it... o:) so sure you do not remember it... (You were referring to the PF member Galileo though)

I see that now :biggrin: tricky tricky

What is the best resource for finding help with a short question?

The best resource for finding help with a short question would depend on the subject matter. However, some popular options include online forums and communities, academic databases, and asking a knowledgeable colleague or mentor.

Can I get help with a short question for free?

Yes, there are many free resources available for getting help with a short question. These include online forums and communities, academic databases, and asking a knowledgeable colleague or mentor. However, some resources may require a subscription or membership fee.

How can I ensure that the help I receive for a short question is accurate and reliable?

One way to ensure accuracy and reliability is to cross-reference the information you receive from multiple sources. It's also helpful to check the credentials and reputation of the person or organization providing the help.

Can I get help with a short question if I am not a scientist or expert in the subject matter?

Yes, there are resources available for non-scientists or experts to get help with short questions. These include online forums and communities where individuals with different levels of knowledge can ask and answer questions, as well as consulting with a knowledgeable colleague or mentor.

How do I ask for help with a short question in a professional and respectful manner?

When asking for help with a short question, it's important to be clear and specific about what you need assistance with. Be polite and respectful in your language and always express gratitude for any help you receive. It's also helpful to provide some context or background information to help the person understand your question better.