1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for exam(differential calc)

1. Nov 17, 2004 #1
    I needed some help on solving some problems that we haven't really covered in class but are expected to know. For example i was looking at the exam written from previous years and it had some questions that i wasn't able to do it right away. I need explaination for the following,

1. If there is a question asking to find a nonconstant polynomial function, ie., lim f(x)/g(x)=13 or 0 or d.n.e. (as x=>2). How do i find these functions?

2. If a function is defined by a formula with given constants a,b,c,d. How do i find a formula for the inverse of the function with x (element of) range(f)? E.x., f(x)=(ax +b)/(c +dx).

3. How do I show that an unknown function satisfies some given function with some restrictions, for example, f '(x)=f '(0)f(x) and f(0)=1?

4. How do i find a function that is defined everywhere but continuous nowhere?(plz explain)

Will appreciate all the help i could get, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2004 #2
    1. You know that the limit of the quotient of two polynomials does not exist at a point if the denominator is zero at the point and the numerator is nonzero. So construct a polynomial denominator that has a root at x = c, i.e. (x - c)(x - r1)(x-r2)...(x - rn).

An easy way to solve for the second part is to create a polynomial that goes to 1 as x goes to c, and make this the denominator. Then all you need to do is create a polynomial that goes to L as x goes to c, and use this for the numerator.

2. Maybe I don't quite understand what you're asking with your second question, but are you asking how to find the inverse of f(x) = (a + bx)/(c + dx)? If so, you'd just use the same way as you ever would.

3. This is in general not true. It works, as far as I know, only for the exponential function and the zero function.

In order to prove it, you need more information. For instance, you need a functional equation, i.e. f(x+y) = f(x)f(y). Then you'd simply use the definition of limit, i.e.

[tex]f'(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex]

4. One definition of continuity at a point is

[tex] lim_{x \to x_0}f(x) = f(x_0)[/tex]

Can you create a function that never has this quality?

--J

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?