1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for optics question

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Here's the question:

a beam of natural light is incident on an air-glass interface (n-ti = 1.5) at 40°. Compute the degree of polarization of the reflected light.

In here, i'm not too sure of the degree of polarization that they're talking about nor which formula to use

Although, i know that the formula for V=(Ip)/(Ip+In) = (Imax-Imin)/(Imax+Imin) but i dunno how i can use this formula, i mean, we don't have the intensity in the pb, the only thing we can find is R// that can be related to I since Ir// = R//Ii/2

(the // means parallel btw) and so far, i figure out all the fresnel coefficient: r//, t//, r (perpendicular) and t(perpendicular). Then dunno what to do next.

Really need help with this...and i'm really lost with what's going on.
    Thanx in advance
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The degree of polarisation refers to the ratio of reflected p and s polarised irradiances. For example a degree of polarisation of 100 means that the reflected p (or s) polarised irradiance is 100 times greater than the reflected s (or p) irradiance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?