Understanding Frequency in Pulse Tone Oscillators

In summary: You should try to find an article or tutorial on electronic oscillators, or at least get help from someone more experienced. In summary, electronic oscillators consist of a resistor and two capacitors and the time constant has an effect on the freq, amplitude and wavelength of a waveform.
manceraiders
can someone please give me some information about electronic oscillator circuits, in particular pulse tone oscillators (thats what it says it is) consisting of a resistor and two capacitors. how does the resistance/capac effect frequency? what does the time constant have to do with it? does the time constant have an effect on the freq? is there an equation to find the freq in a circuit like this? i need help...

heres a pic of the circuit
http://i.imgur.com/XodmHpA.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF

you cut out all the rest of the text ... there's probably some useful info in there for you
on the description of the osc.
show us more of the accompanying text or a www link to the article please :smile:

The time constant set by the R/C values determines the ratio of the on/off pulse length and that determines the overall freq of the oscillator

It looks kinda similar to a relaxation oscillator but with variations
Dave

hi thanks for the reply, i got this out of a manual and here is the text:
http://i.imgur.com/XvwyyEw.png

i am a complete beginner in this field and so could you explain what you mean by the on/off pulse length

thanks

in general the main focus is to understand the effect of changing resistance and capacitance on the freq, amplitude and wavelength of a waveform... i was just wondering about the background information and how this all works and what extra aspects are here

You are investigating this by building it and running some tests? Plot some graphs so you can show how f varies with R, and how f varies with C. Sketch all waveforms and monitor them to see how some change with change of componets.

This does sound like a homework or prac exercise.

What is an oscillator circuit?

An oscillator circuit is an electronic circuit that produces an alternating current (AC) output without the use of an external input signal. It works by using feedback to sustain an oscillating output, which can be in the form of a sine wave, square wave, or any other desired waveform.

What are the components of an oscillator circuit?

The main components of an oscillator circuit include an active element such as a transistor or op-amp, a feedback network, and a power supply. The feedback network is responsible for controlling the oscillations and determining the frequency of the output signal.

What are the different types of oscillators?

There are various types of oscillators, including the RC oscillator, LC oscillator, crystal oscillator, and relaxation oscillator. Each type has its own unique characteristics, advantages, and applications.

How do I troubleshoot problems with an oscillator circuit?

If an oscillator circuit is not functioning properly, some common troubleshooting steps include checking for loose connections, ensuring the components are properly connected, and checking for any damaged components. It is also helpful to consult the circuit diagram and datasheet for the specific oscillator circuit being used.

What are some applications of oscillator circuits?

Oscillator circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including signal generation, frequency synthesis, and timing circuits. They are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, computers, and clocks.