Help for reaction-diffusion question, R-D-D with reaction function

In summary, the problem at hand is to establish that any solution of R-D-D with the given reaction function and initial data will remain bounded by 0 and alpha for all time, and therefore has a global solution on the specified domain for any T greater than 0. The suggested approach is to first analyze the reaction function and then use the maximum principle to prove the bounds, before deducing the existence of a global solution.
jac7
Hi I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some hints on how to start this problem that I have set because I'm really stuck on it!

This is the problem:

"Consider R-D-D with reaction function f: [tex]\Re[/tex][tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex] given by

f(u)=([tex]\alpha[/tex]-u)^{3}u [tex]\forall[/tex] [tex]\textsl{u}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] [tex]\Re[/tex],

with [tex]\alpha[/tex] > 0 constant. The initial data u_{0} : [0,[tex]\alpha[/tex]] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\Re[/tex] is such that

u_{0}(x) [tex]\in[/tex] [0,[tex]\alpha[/tex]] [tex]\forall[/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] [0,[tex]\alpha[/tex]].

Establish that any solution u : [tex]\overline{D}_{T}[/tex] of R-D-D satisfies,

0[tex]\leq[/tex] u(x,t) [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\forall[/tex] (x,t) [tex]\in[/tex] [tex]\overline{D}_{T}[/tex].
and deduce that R-D-D has a global solution on [tex]\overline{D}_{T}[/tex] for any T>0."

Please help, I'm so stuck!
Thank you

(I don't know why the alpha is so raised?!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints: 1. Start by proving that the solution is bounded by 0 and alpha by analyzing the reaction function. 2. Then, use the maximum principle to prove that the solution remains within the bounds for all time. 3. Finally, deduce that R-D-D has a global solution on $\overline{D}_{T}$ for any $T>0$.

1. What is a reaction-diffusion system?

A reaction-diffusion system is a mathematical model that describes how the concentrations of substances change over time due to both chemical reactions and diffusion. It is commonly used to study patterns and dynamics in biological and physical systems.

2. What is the reaction-diffusion equation?

The reaction-diffusion equation is a partial differential equation that describes the change in concentration of a substance over time and space. It takes into account both the diffusion of the substance and any chemical reactions that may be occurring.

3. How is the reaction function determined in a reaction-diffusion system?

The reaction function in a reaction-diffusion system is determined by the specific chemical reactions and their rates that are occurring in the system. It is typically derived from experimental data or theoretical models.

4. What are some common applications of reaction-diffusion systems?

Reaction-diffusion systems have a wide range of applications, including studying biological processes such as embryo development, nerve impulses, and cell signaling. They are also used in physical systems to model the spread of epidemics, the formation of patterns in chemical reactions, and the dynamics of population growth.

5. How are reaction-diffusion systems solved?

Solving reaction-diffusion systems typically involves using numerical methods to approximate the solution. This can be done using computer simulations or mathematical techniques such as finite difference methods. In some cases, analytical solutions may also be possible for simplified systems.