Why Are My Physics Calculations on Force and Acceleration Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation revolves around two problems involving a mass being pushed on a smooth inclined plane. The first problem has a mass of 1.3kg and is pushed with a horizontal force of 17.5 Newtons at an angle of 12.5 degrees to the horizontal. The question is to find the acceleration of the mass using g=9.81 m/s. The second problem has a mass of 1.9kg and is pushed with a horizontal force of 20 Newtons at an angle of 27 degrees to the horizontal. The question is to find the distance the block moves in 6.5 seconds using g=9.81 m/s. The conversation includes discussions on the approach used to solve
buffgilville
1) A mass 1.3 kilograms is pushed with a horizontal force 17.5 Newtons of a smooth inclined plane which bears an angle 12.5 to the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the mass (g = 9.81 m/s).

I got 2.12, but it was wrong, and I don't know why.

2) A mass 1.9 kilograms is pushed with a horizontal force 20 Newtons of a smooth inclined plane which bears an angle 27 to the horizontal. Find the distance the block moves in 6.5 seconds (g= 9.81 m/s2).

I got 198.13, but it was wrong, and I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What did you do to find that answer? (free-body diagram?)
2) Same approach as #1, so let's talk about that one first.

yes, i used a free body diagram.

For the first problem, I used a = (mg) sin12.5 /1.3kg and got 2.12.

For the second problem, what I did was I use vectors to find the x and y components. solve: x components = 1.9a and got a = 9.379. then I plug in a for x=vt + (1-2) (9.379) (6.5 squared) and got 198.13 meters.

What am I doing wrong?

For 1), I'm assuming you meant horizontal force 17.5 N up the incline. If I understand the problem correctly, 17.5 N is the applied force. In order to find acceleration in [itex]F_{net}=ma[/itex], you need to find the net force acting on the mass. Therefore, form your freebody diagram, re-arrange the vectors for normal force and gravitational force to find their sum (opposite direction than the applied force). From there, you should be able to find net force, and thus acceleration. I got 11.3 m/s^2 -- is that right?

That is why we ask people not to post the same thing in multiple locations. Post once, if it's in the wrong place it will get moved to the right one.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared (e.g. meters per second squared).

3. How are force and acceleration related?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.

5. How can I calculate force and acceleration?

To calculate force, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. To calculate acceleration, you can use the equation a=F/m. Both force and acceleration can be measured using appropriate units and tools, such as a scale for mass and a stopwatch for time.