1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help forming a study routine

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    I am a freshman in university, and my major requires that I take a general chemistry course. I actually enjoyed chemistry in high school, so I actually am taking an honors chemistry course.

Long story short, I am sort of lost on how to divide up my studying. We have a book of past exams (2007-2012) to practice, online homework, and a book written by the professors at our university. I can usually get through the online homework and get full points, but when it comes to exams I am very nervous and usually have trouble if the problems differ from problems on the practice exams.

In lecture, I feel like I'm simply rushing to copy down examples and hints. It's a huge lecture, so there isn't much room to ask questions.

Does anyone have any tips for managing my study schedule? I feel like I'm constantly playing catch-up and just grinding through book examples without knowing what I'm doing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2
    One thing i do which may or may not benifit you is i usually read the chapter before going to the lecture. That way i know what the professor is going to talk about.

As for a study schedual i just study most of the day because i enjoy it. Sorry i couldnt help you on that one lol

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    http://calnewport.com/blog/
    read the blog buy the books solved your problem

My review: I liked
    -how to win at college
    -how to become a straight a student
    because it's condensed with useful study tips (you should read the blog for more stuff: there's lots of stuff in the book that's not on the blog and vice versa)

I don't like
    So good they can't ignore you
    because it's filled with interviews
    and it seems to be geared (aimed) more towards people who are working in business (because the interview are business people)
    see amazon reviews for more review lol
    (I consider interviews with musicians, business software engineer person and documentary guy not useful to me as a Physics freshman)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook