Formulating the Exact Equation for the Double Slit Experiment in Physics"

• Thread starter cshum00
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the double slit experiment and the attempt to find the difference between r1 and r2 using relevant formulas. The best attempt so far involves using three equations and deriving a formula that involves the square root of a complex expression. The formula shows that as L approaches 0, y is approximately equal to half of n times lambda, as L approaches infinity, y is approximately equal to n times lambda times L divided by d, and as d approaches 0, y is approximately equal to n times lambda.
cshum00
I got this from physics' double slit experiment. The way it is done on the physics book is by approximation. Since i am interested in the mathematics behind it, i have been trying to formulate an equation which gives me the exact value.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/60/figure.png

Like the double slit experiment i want to find the difference r1 - r2.
The approximation given on the physics books is:
[itex]r_1 - r_2 = n \lambda = \frac{d Y}{L}[/itex]
Therefore [itex]y = \frac{n L \lambda}{d}[/itex]

Here are some relevant formulas I came up using the geometry of the problem:
01) [itex]r_1 sin \theta_1 = Y - \frac{d}{2}[/itex]
02) [itex]r_2 sin \theta_2 = Y + \frac{d}{2}[/itex]
03) [itex]r_1 cos \theta_1 = L[/itex]
04) [itex]r_2 cos \theta_2 = L[/itex]
05) [itex]L tan \theta_1 = Y - \frac{d}{2}[/itex]
06) [itex]L tan \theta_2 = Y + \frac{d}{2}[/itex]
07) [itex]r_1^2 = L^2 + (Y - \frac{d}{2})^2[/itex]
08) [itex]r_2^2 = L^2 + (Y + \frac{d}{2})^2[/itex]
09) [itex]y(x=L) = aL + \frac{d}{2}[/itex]
10) [itex]y(x=L) = bL - \frac{d}{2}[/itex]
Note: [itex]\theta_1[/itex] is the angle between r1 and L. Similarly, [itex]\theta_2[/itex] is the angle between r2 and L

I have been trying to combine these formulas and get something nice and simple but i never was able to get rid of the variables or at least reduce it into one single variable.

Here is my best attempt so far:
-Subtracting equation 8 and 7
[itex](r_2 - r_1)(r_2 + r_1) = 2dY[/itex]
-Solving for Y and let [itex]r_1 - r_2 = n \lambda[/itex]
[itex]Y = \frac{n \lambda}{2d}(r_2 + r_1)[/itex]
-Substitute r_1 and r_2 using equation 3 and 4
[itex]Y = \frac{n \lambda}{2d}(\frac{L}{cos \theta_2} + \frac{L}{cos \theta_1})[/itex]
[itex]Y = \frac{n L \lambda}{2d}(\frac{1}{cos \theta_2} + \frac{1}{cos \theta_1})[/itex]
Which still has 2 variables.

I know that the hint lies on something like the parabola. This problem, just like the parabola, has 2 fixed points, and 2 lines that goes along a curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I got the answer. The way i derived was using only 3 of the equations:
[itex]r_1^2 = L^2 + (y - \frac{d}{2})^2 => r_1^2 = L^2 + y^2 - dy + d^2/4[/itex] (1)
[itex]r_2^2 = L^2 + (y + \frac{d}{2})^2 => r_1^2 = L^2 + y^2 + dy + d^2/4[/itex] (2)
[itex]r_2 - r_1 = n \lambda[/itex] (3)

Subtracting equation (2) and (1)
[itex](r_2 - r_1)(r_2 + r_1) = 2dy[/itex] (4)

Substitute equation (3) into (4)
[itex]n \lambda(r_2 + r_1) = 2dy[/itex] (5)

But according to equation (3)
[itex]r_2 = n \lambda + r_1[/itex] (6)

Substitute equation (6) into (5)
[itex]n \lambda(n \lambda + 2r_1) = 2dy[/itex] (7)

Solve for [itex]r_1[/itex] in equation (7)
[itex]n \lambda + 2r_1 = (2dy)/(n \lambda)[/itex]
[itex]2r_1 = (2dy)(n \lambda) - n \lambda[/itex]
[itex]r_1 = (2dy - n^2 \lambda^2)/(4n \lambda)[/itex]
Square both sides
[itex]r_1^2 = (4d^2y^2 - 4dyn^2 \lambda^2 + n^4 \lambda^4)/(4n^2 \lambda^2)[/itex]
[itex]r_1^2 = (d^2y^2)/(n^2 \lambda^2) - dy + (n^2 \lambda^2)/(4)[/itex] (8)

Substitute equation (1) into (8)
[itex]L^2 + y^2 - dy + (d^2)/4 = (d^2y^2)/(n^2 \lambda^2) - dy + (n^2 \lambda^2)/4[/itex]
Solve for y:
[itex]L^2 + (d^2)/4 - (n^2 \lambda^2)/4 = (d^2y^2)/(n^2 \lambda^2) - y^2[/itex]
[itex]L^2 + (d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2)/4 = y^2[(d^2)/(n^2 \lambda^2) - 1][/itex]
[itex](4L^2 + d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2)/4 = y^2 (d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2)/(n^2 \lambda^2)[/itex]
[itex]y = \pm \sqrt {[(4L^2 + d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2)*(n^2 \lambda^2)] / [4 * d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2]}[/itex]
[itex]y = \pm \frac{n \lambda}{2}\sqrt {(4L^2 + d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2) / (d^2 - n^2 \lambda^2)}[/itex] !

Analyzing the formula, we can say that:
(a) [itex]L -> 0[/itex], [itex]y \approx \frac{n \lambda}{2}[/itex]

(b) [itex]L -> \infty[/itex], [itex]y \approx n \lambda L[/itex]

1. How do I formulate an equation?

Formulating an equation involves identifying the variables and their relationships, writing them in a mathematical form, and simplifying or solving the equation to find the desired solution.

2. What are the steps to solve an equation?

The steps to solve an equation are: 1) Simplify the equation by combining like terms; 2) Isolate the variable by performing inverse operations; 3) Check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation; and 4) Write the final solution in the appropriate form.

3. How do I identify the variables in an equation?

Variables in an equation are usually represented by letters, such as x, y, or z. They can represent unknown quantities or values that can change. The key is to look for the letters or symbols that are not constants or known values.

4. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that has numbers, variables, and operations, but does not have an equals sign. An equation, on the other hand, has an equal sign and states that two expressions are equal to each other.

5. How do I know if my equation is balanced?

An equation is balanced when both sides of the equation have the same value. This means that the solution satisfies the equation and is a valid solution. You can check the balance by performing the same operations on both sides and seeing if they still have the same value.