1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP: Fourier series Problem

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    Hi

Given the function [tex]f(t) = t^2[/tex], were [tex]t \in ]- \pi, pi[[/tex], and is continious find the fourier series for f(t). [tex]L = 2 \pi[/tex].

Then

[tex] A_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int \limit_{-\pi} ^{\pi} t^2 dt = \frac{\pi ^2}{3}[/tex]

[tex]A_n = \int \limit_{-\pi} ^{\pi} t^2 \cdot cos(\matrm{n} \pi \mathrm{t}) dt[/tex]

[tex]A_n = \int \limit_{-\pi} ^{\pi} u^2 \cdot cos(u) du[/tex], where u = n \pi t,

The new limit gives:

[tex]A_n = \int \limit_{0} ^{2 \pi^2 n} u^2 \cdot cos(u) du[/tex]

[tex]A_n = [u^2 \cdot sin(u) - 2sin(u) + 2u sin(u)]_{0} ^{2 \pi ^ 2 n}[/tex]

Then

[tex]B_n = \int \limit_{0} ^{2n \pi^2} u^2 \cdot sin(u) du[/tex]

which gives

[tex]B_n = (2-4n^2 * \pi ^4 * cos(2n * \pi ^2) + 4n *sin (2n * \pi ^2) \pi ^2 -2[/tex]

Therefore the Fourier series for f(t) is:

[tex]\frac{\pi ^ 2}{3} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} A_n cos(nt) + B_n sin(nt)[/tex]

Could someone please me if my calculations are correct?

Sincerley

Yours
    Hummingbird

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

you may check here that the Fourier coefficients ought to be

[tex]A_0=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(t) dt[/tex]

[tex]A_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(t)\cos (nt) dt[/tex]

and

[tex]B_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(t)\sin (nt) dt[/tex]

so that

for [tex]f(t)=t^2[/tex] we have

[tex]A_0=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t^2 dt = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}t^2 dt = \frac{2\pi ^3}{3}[/tex]

where the second move is from the integral of an even function over a symmetric interval (i.e. [-a,a]) is twice the integral over [0,a], also note that the same applies to An, hence

[tex]A_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t^2 \cos (nt) dt = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}t^2 \cos (nt) dt[/tex]

integrate by parts twice to get EDIT: forgot to multiply by the [tex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]!

[tex]A_n=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}t^2 \cos (nt) dt = \frac{2}{\pi}\left[ \frac{2t^2}{n}\sin (nt) + \frac{4t}{n^2}\cos (nt)-\frac{4}{n^3}\sin (nt)\right]_{t=0}^{\pi} = \frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{2\pi ^2}{n}\sin (n\pi ) + \frac{4\pi}{n^2}\cos (n\pi )-\frac{4}{n^3}\sin (n\pi )\right) [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{2\pi }{n}\sin (n\pi ) + \frac{4}{n^2}\cos (n\pi )-\frac{4}{\pi n^3}\sin (n\pi )[/tex]

know also that [tex]t^2\sin (nt)[/tex] is an odd function, and that the integral of an odd function over a symmetric interval (i.e. [-a,a]) is zero, hence

[tex]B_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t^2\sin (nt) dt=0[/tex]

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  4. May 21, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

5. May 21, 2006 #4
    Hello ben,

I guess it mixed up the details from a textbook example. Sorry,

Then the fourier series is expressed:

[tex]\frac{2\pi ^3}{3} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{2\pi ^2}{n}\sin (n\pi ) + \frac{4\pi}{n^2}\cos (n\pi )-\frac{4}{n^3}\sin (n\pi )[/tex] ?

Sincerely
    Hummingbird25

6. May 21, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

Rather it is expressed:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}A_0+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n\cos (nt)+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} B_n\sin (nt)=\frac{\pi ^3}{3} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \left( \frac{2\pi ^2}{n}\sin (n\pi ) + \frac{4\pi}{n^2}\cos (n\pi )-\frac{4}{n^3}\sin (n\pi )\right) \cos (nt)[/tex]

7. May 21, 2006 #6
    Okay I get that,

By the way,

f(t) has continious deriatives, and is periodic [tex]2 \pi[/tex]

Then the Fourier series of f(t) converge to f(t) Uniformly on [tex]]-\pi, \pi[[/tex] ??

Or am I missing a condition?

Sincerely

Hummingbird

8. May 21, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

I forgot to distribute the [tex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex] in the calculation of A_n in my first post, I fixed it: look for the EDIT,

very important simplifications: [tex]\sin (n\pi ) = 0\mbox{ for }n=1,2,3,...[/tex]

and

[tex]\cos (n\pi ) = (-1)^{n}\mbox{ for }n=1,2,3,...[/tex]

and hence [tex]A_n = \frac{2\pi }{n}\sin (n\pi ) + \frac{4}{n^2}\cos (n\pi )-\frac{4}{\pi n^3}\sin (n\pi ) = \frac{4}{n^2}(-1)^{n}[/tex]

so the series becomes

[tex]\frac{\pi ^3}{3} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \left( \frac{2\pi }{n}\sin (n\pi ) + \frac{4}{n^2}\cos (n\pi )-\frac{4}{\pi n^3}\sin (n\pi )\right) \cos (nt ) = \frac{\pi ^3}{3} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\frac{4}{n^2}\cos (nt )[/tex]

that is

[tex]\boxed{t^2 \sim \frac{\pi ^3}{3} + 4\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\frac{\cos (nt)}{n^2} = \frac{\pi ^3}{3} -4\left( \frac{\cos (t)}{1^2}-\frac{\cos (2t)}{2^2}+\frac{\cos (3t)}{3^2}-\mdots \right)}[/tex]​

9. May 21, 2006 #8

benorin

Homework Helper

Uniform convergence can be proved by the Weierstrass M-test, just note that

[tex] \left| (-1)^{n}\frac{\cos (nt)}{n^2} \right| \leq \frac{1}{n^2}=M_n[/tex] for all n

and [tex]\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty}M_n=\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} [/tex] converges, so the given series converges uniformly on [tex] \left[ -\pi ,\pi \right] [/tex] by the Weierstrass M-test.

10. May 21, 2006 #9
    Okay thank You then I only have one final question.

Given the two series

[tex]\sum_{k=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^4}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{k=1} ^{\infty} (-1)^{k-1} \frac{1}{k^2}[/tex]

I need to find the sum of these two.

In series number 1:

I can see that by the test of comparison, that it converges

[tex]\frac{1}{k^{2+t}} < \frac{1}{k^{2}}[/tex]

But what is the next step in finding the sum here?

In series two:

What do I here? Do I test for convergens ?

Sincerely
    Hummingbird

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?