1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Geodesics of a sphere

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, just want to get a couple of things straight regarding finding the geodesics of a sphere not using polar coordinates, but rather, Lagrange multipliers...

I want to minimize I = int (|x-dot|2 dt)
    subject to the constraint |x|=1 (sphere)
    which gives an Euler equation of [itex]\lambda[/itex]x - x-doubledot = 0

I have to show that the Euler equation is actually |x-dot|2x - x-doubledot = 0
    Is it right to assume that [itex]\lambda[/itex]=|x-dot|2 simply by the fact that it minimizes I* = int [|x-dot|2 - [itex]\lambda[/itex](|x|2-1)dt] which is [itex]\geq0[/itex], so the [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimizes I* is |x-dot|2?

If I then try to integrate the Euler equation, then I get a SHM equation:

x1= A1 cos(|x-dot| t - C1) where A, C are constants
    and similarly for x2, x3

But how do I combine them to give the equation of a great circle, since I don't know the Ci's?

Thank you for any enlightenment!

2. Relevant equations
    See above

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So you are trying to minimise the following:
    [tex]
    \int |\dot{x}|^{2}dt
    [/tex]
    One way to think about this to say that [itex]\dot{x}=0[/itex] which integrates up to [itex]x=\textrm{constant}[/itex] which implies that [itex]|x|^{2}=\textrm{constant}[/itex]. Does that help?

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks, hunt_mat,
    Why can you take x-dot = 0?

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your formulation is incorrect: it should be [itex] \min \int |\dot{x}(t)|^2 dt [/itex], subject to [itex] |x(t)|^2 = 1 \; \forall t [/itex]. So, basically, you have infinitely many constraints, one for each t.

RGV

6. Jul 26, 2011 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Because
    [tex]
    \int |\dot{x}(t)|^{2}dt\geqslant 0
    [/tex]
    for all t and so it must be smallest when the integrand is identically zero.

7. Jul 26, 2011 #6
    I guess I meant how does one know that 0 is attained? Also, I believe I was given that |x|^2 =1 (constant)
    However does your suggestion mean that I can set the augmented integrand |x-dot|2-lamda*|x|2 to 0? then I will have the desired lamda = |x-dot|2 ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. Jul 26, 2011 #7
    Problem resolved! Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook