1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help!Given a common intersection point, create 3 different planes

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a common intersection point (3,4,5), find 3 different planes.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did is let

a1x+a2y+a3z=a
    b1x+b2y+b3z=b
    c1x+c2y+c3z=c

3=Dx/D 4=Dy/D 5=Dz/D

I set D=2, therefore Dx=6 Dy=8 Dz=10,
    I was stuck then, no matter how I did I just got a bunch of unknown.
    This question is supposed to find any 3 linear equations(aka 3 planes) that satisfy the intersection point.

Well, who doesn't know how to find the intersecting point using Cramer's rule...

P/S: This question comes up in my calculus 3 question, and I have not taken any algebra course yet, so I only know the condition for Cramer's rule for a common intersection point to take place which is D not equal to 0.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2
    If you want 3 different planes that intersect at (3,4,5), why not just use z=5, y=4, and x=3?

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot dustin for your reply.

If i want to justify that this is indeed the intersection point of the 3 different planes you mentioned, can I apply Cramer's rule and then do the dot and cross products with the normal vectors of the 3 planes. If the determinant is indeed not equal to 0, then the intersection point is justified?

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    Well if we use those equations then are we would have x+0y+0z=3; 0x+y+0z=4; 0x+0y+z=5. Which would make our determinant 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook