1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help glider on an airtrack problem

1. Sep 24, 2004 #1
    Help....glider on an airtrack problem

In the physics laboratory, a glider is released from rest on a frictionless air track inclined at an angle similar to the one shown in the figure below . If the glider has gained a speed of 24 cm/s in traveling 50 cm from the starting point, what was the angle of inclination of the track?

Ok, what I have done is I figured out the acceleration to be 5.76. Would that be correct? And now I am having trouble trying to get the angle...I am not sure what to do. Please help. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2004 #2

Ba

5.76 cm/s^2 is the acceleration if the speed is the ending speed not the speed over time. The way I would find the angle from there is to find the weight of the glider and use the force of gravity and the horizontal force to get the angle using a tangent

4. Sep 25, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right, the acceleration is 5.76 cm/s^2 (or 0.0576 m/s^2).
    What's the component of the weight along the track? (Draw a diagram; express the force along the track in terms of the angle--using a little trig.) Then apply F = ma, using what you calculated as the acceleration along the track. Then solve for the angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?