1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Harmonic Motion

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    Can you offer some help on the following question? I've been trying different things for a while but can't get the right answer. Thanks!

At time t = 0, consider a 1/2 wavelength long section of the rope which is carrying the wave y = 0.06 cos(2.1 t - 2.4 x) between two points which have zero displacement (y = 0). Find the total force exerted by the rest of the rope on this section. Neglect any effects due to the weight of the rope. Use the small-angle approximation where q, sin(q), and tan(q) are all approximately equal to each other. A 5 meter length of this rope has a mass of 1.5 kg.

What I have so far:
    I know the horizontal components of the Tensions cancel out, so the net force is due to the Y component of the one of the forces times 2. How do I find that?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force on the rope is the vector sum of the tensions at each end. Since horizontal tension T is constant,

[tex]T_1 = T/cos\alpha_1 \text{ and } T_2 = T/cos\alpha2[/tex]

You can determine the slope of the rope at each end (dy/dx) by partial differentiation of the wave function to find [itex]\alpha_1 \text{ and } \alpha2[/itex] where y = 0 (ie. [itex]2.1 t - 2.4 x = \pi/2, 3\pi/2[/itex])

You should be able to determine the speed of the wave from the wave function using the general solution:
    [tex]y = Asin(2\pi/\lambda (x - \nu t))[/tex]

to the wave equation for the ideal string:

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2y}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\rho}{T}\frac{\partial ^2y}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

and then use
    [itex]v = \sqrt{T/\rho} = \lambda \nu [/tex] to find the Tension T.

AM

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?