Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Heat Transfer Problem

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to determine the time required to heat up one side of an insulated wall of length L if there's a known constant heat flux at the non-insulated end of the wall. The wall is at uniform temperature before the heat flux is applied.

I have been working this problem for a few days and I am under pressure to figure this out by tomorrow, so I reallly need some help.

All of the wall material properties are known (conductivity, specific heat, thermal diffusivity, etc)

My Heat Transfer book (and my internet searches, for that matter) have turned up inconclusive for 1-d transient heat conduction with a constant heat flux; the equation I have uses temperatures.

[tex]\Theta[/tex](x,t)=[tex]\frac{T(x,t)-T_{\infty}}{T_{i}-T_{\infty}}[/tex]=A[tex]_{1}[/tex]*exp(-[tex]\lambda^{2}_{1}*\tau[/tex])*cos(x*[tex]\lambda_{1}/L[/tex])

Where A1 and lambda_1 are constants based no the Biot number, and tau is the time constant

Please help, I need to finish this ASAP!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted