Help with Heat Transfer: Replacing Shell & Tube w/ Multi Plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential replacement of a shell and tube heat exchanger with a multi-plate heat exchanger in a system that also includes a centrifugal blower. The conditions for the process include a blower flow rate of 0.03 m^3/s and a maximum pressure of 16 bar, as well as a shell exchanger volume of 0.64 m^3 and a maximum heat transfer of 30 kW. The speaker is curious about the impact of using a larger exchanger with a volume of 30 L and whether the exchanger should be chosen based on the blower flow rate. The discussion also touches on the reasoning behind the large volume of the shell and tube exchanger compared to the
maxx_payne
i have a system consists of a shell an tube exchanger and a centrifugal blower the blower suction is at the exit of the exchanger
i want to replace the shell and tube with a multi plates heat exchanger
whats my conditions for this process
BLOWER
0.03 m^3/s
max press 16 bar
and SHELL EXCHANGER
VOLUME 0.64 m^3
and max Q is 30 kw

what will happen if i put exchanger with volume of 30 L
do i choose the exchanger with respect to blower flow rate ??
and why the shell and tube exchanger is so large 0.64 m3 and the blower is only 0.03 m3/s??

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd hazard a guess that the exchanger is much larger then the transfer rate of the blower so that the fluid will spend the proper amount of time within the exchanger. If the fluid moves through the exchanger at a rate such that the interval of time spent within is very low, then the total heat transfer will be low (likewise if it spends too much time in there, the rate of heat removal from the source will be too low). It's a balance.

so what if i changed the shell and tube with another plate exchanger or what if i connect another exchanger in series with it ??

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of transferring thermal energy from one object or substance to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

Why would shell and tube heat exchangers need to be replaced with multi plates?

Shell and tube heat exchangers may need to be replaced with multi plates for several reasons, including increased efficiency, decreased maintenance costs, and space constraints. Multi plate heat exchangers have a higher heat transfer rate and can be more compact, making them a better option for certain applications.

How do multi plates work in heat transfer?

Multi plates work by having multiple layers of plates with small passages for fluid flow. This allows for a larger surface area for heat transfer to occur, making them more efficient than traditional shell and tube heat exchangers.

What is the process for replacing a shell and tube heat exchanger with multi plates?

The process for replacing a shell and tube heat exchanger with multi plates will vary depending on the specific system and requirements. However, it typically involves removing the old heat exchanger, preparing the space for the new one, and installing the multi plate heat exchanger according to the manufacturer's instructions.

What are the benefits of using multi plates in heat transfer?

Some benefits of using multi plates in heat transfer include increased efficiency, reduced maintenance costs, and a smaller footprint. Multi plate heat exchangers also allow for easier cleaning and maintenance, as well as the potential for higher temperature and pressure capabilities.