How to decide on a major with multiple interests and an A type personality?

• Thread starter happyhiker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's struggle with committing to just one interest and their desire for a career that involves hands-on work, research, planning, problem-solving, autonomy, and business. Suggestions were made for potential majors, including particle theoretical physics, electrical engineering and computer science, and math and physics with a possible MBA. The individual also expressed their intention to attend graduate school and possibly pursue multiple degrees. It was advised to keep an open mind and possibly start with a math major to keep options open. The conversation also touched upon the possibility of applying to engineering first and then switching if desired.
happyhiker
I've pretty much exhausted logic at this point. I have numerous interests and can't commit myself to just one. I've always been this way; it's just my personality. For those of you who've been there, what helped you decide?

Here is a little background info:

1. I like hands on work and research
2. I like to plan
3. I'm an A type personality
4. I like solving complex problems
5. I like autonomy
6. Business oriented

Considering:

1. Math/Physics
2. Math/Computer Science
3. Math/Economics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest particle theoretical physics, as it incorporated many complex equations for the people with strong mathematical backgrounds. This field isn't extremely hands on though, it is mostly just solving equations, and required tremendous amounts of patience, concentration, and dedication.

happyhiker said:
I've pretty much exhausted logic at this point. I have numerous interests and can't commit myself to just one. I've always been this way; it's just my personality. For those of you who've been there, what helped you decide?

Here is a little background info:

1. I like hands on work and research
2. I like to plan
3. I'm a type A personality
4. I like solving complex problems
5. I like autonomy
6. Business oriented

Considering:

1. Math/Physics
2. Math/Computer Science
3. Math/Economics

I disagree with the suggestion about theoretical physics, especially since you only specialized in theory in graduate school.

Based on your six point list, I would say you sound like an Electrical Engineer or a CS student.

If you go to a school that offers an EECS degree (such as UC Berkeley) that might be the best choice. You can specialize in CS if you choose, but you'll get more breadth and be in a great position to decide what you want to do in graduate school. You won't be closing many doors.

sean888 said:
I would suggest particle theoretical physics, as it incorporated many complex equations for the people with strong mathematical backgrounds. This field isn't extremely hands on though, it is mostly just solving equations, and required tremendous amounts of patience, concentration, and dedication.

... and with an extremely poor employment rate.

Zz.

The first year in any of those programs is likely going to be very similar. Since all of your listed options include math, why not just sign up as a math major for your first year. Then take all the courses you need to keep your doors open for any of those avenues. Once you have your first year or so under your belt, you can steer your ship to go with favourable winds.

Not being able to commit to just one interest and also all the bullet points you listed (except the last one) makes me think you'd enjoy physics. A physics education gives you knowledge of a broad range of topics and you don't have to specialize until you get to graduate school.

Now, if you don't want to go to graduate school, then I'd suggest maybe an engineering and business double major. You sadly won't have an easy time finding a job with just a physics bachelors, so you should plan ahead for that.

You could do math/physics and then get an MBA if you want to be business oriented and still work with technology. Engineering and an MBA would work well too of course.

How long do you want to study for? Do you want a bachelor's degree and then go get a job? Do you want to stay in school after you get a bachelor's degree?

Mistake said:
Not being able to commit to just one interest and also all the bullet points you listed (except the last one) makes me think you'd enjoy physics. A physics education gives you knowledge of a broad range of topics and you don't have to specialize until you get to graduate school.

Now, if you don't want to go to graduate school, then I'd suggest maybe an engineering and business double major. You sadly won't have an easy time finding a job with just a physics bachelors, so you should plan ahead for that.

You could do math/physics and then get an MBA if you want to be business oriented and still work with technology. Engineering and an MBA would work well too of course.

How long do you want to study for? Do you want a bachelor's degree and then go get a job? Do you want to stay in school after you get a bachelor's degree?

I know for a fact that I want to attend graduate school and possibly pursue multiple degrees: Master's/PHd. I'd like to be done with my bachelor's and master's degrees in ~6 years.

Last edited:
Choppy said:
The first year in any of those programs is likely going to be very similar. Since all of your listed options include math, why not just sign up as a math major for your first year. Then take all the courses you need to keep your doors open for any of those avenues. Once you have your first year or so under your belt, you can steer your ship to go with favourable winds.

Thanks! I just might do that.

You should watch out, though. Most engineering majors require you to apply before you can take their core classes, so you should keep that in mind. You can pretty much always switch to math or physics, as those aren't competitive majors (more slots open than there are people wanting to get in), though, so in this case it might be easier to apply to engineering first, and if you decide you don't like it, switch out.

What factors should I consider when picking a major?

When choosing a major, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, career goals, and the job market. Think about what subjects you enjoy and excel in, as well as what kind of career you want to pursue after graduation. It's also important to research the job outlook for your chosen major to ensure there are opportunities available.

How do I know if a major is right for me?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals. However, one helpful approach is to take introductory courses in a variety of subjects to see which ones you enjoy the most. You can also talk to professors and students in the major to get a better understanding of what the coursework and career options are like.

Can I change my major once I've already started college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major even after you've started college. However, it's important to consider the potential consequences, such as taking additional courses or extending your graduation timeline. It's best to speak with your academic advisor to discuss your options and make a decision that is best for you.

What if I can't decide on a major?

If you're struggling to pick a major, don't panic. Many students enter college undecided and take a variety of courses to explore their interests. You can also consider a double major or minor in two different subjects, or even take a gap year to gain more clarity on your interests. It's important to remember that your major does not define your entire career and there are always opportunities to switch or expand your career path.

What resources are available to help me choose a major?

There are several resources available to help you pick a major, such as career counseling centers, academic advisors, and online career assessment tools. You can also speak with professors and students in your desired major, as well as attend career fairs and informational events. It's important to gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision.