1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help-How to Prove It, Sec.4.4, 18b

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The real problem is my professor makes anyone who asks a question in class or office hours feel like a total idiot. I

Sec.4.4 Problem 18a) https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=541479

Could someone comment on whether it would be okay to use part a) in part b)?
    2. Relevant equations
    Above we proved, for all x element of A, x is an upper bound of B1 iff x is an upper bound of B2.
    Can we use this in part b)? Although b) is talking about a maximal element instead of an upper bound. I think the only difference is that maximal element is part of the subset.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Contra positive. Assume B1 has a maximal element b1. This means that there does not exist an x є B1(b1Rx Λ b1 ≠ x). By part a), we know that b1 is also the maximal element of B2. Therefore, b1 є (B1 and B2). Therefore, B1 and B2 are not disjoint.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted