Help I can't get any websites. somebody me

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Websites
In summary, the person's computer is not being able to connect to the internet. They have tried uninstalling and reinstalling different browsers, clearing cookies and history, and scanning with antivirus software. They were finally able to get help from tech support and changed a networking setting on the server.
z4955
help! I can't get any websites. somebody please help me

suddenly I can't get any websites... all I get when I log in is "page not found" the connection is fine and the browser comes up (slowly) but then nothing but "page not found" no matter what site I put in. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling internet explorer and netscape and even mozilla firefox and they all do the same thing so it's not the browser but something else. I have cleaned out cookies, temp internet files, history, etc. I have scanned with norton antivirus, spybot and ad-aware. everything works except that I can't get any websites and my outlook express won't work now either. HELP! :cry:

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't want to have to reformat again... :(

After reformatting a few times it becomes easy.

Maybe your network card is messed up?

How are you connected and connecting to the internet?

lol if your using IE, make sure you have the working offline thing unchecked - goto file, and itll be near the bottom...

Is there any life in your connection ... like typing to command prompt ipconfig /all if you're say in XP and so forth ?

Do you have a firewall running?

If port 80 was being blocked I think you would have gotten a different error though.

If you block port 80 inbound wouldn't make a difference... http uses high port numbers on the way back in, port 80 is only used to establish the http session with server...

Is your DNS server working? Or your DNS settings for IP setup correctly?

edit:

try this,
open cmd and type nslookup,
at the > type physicsforums.com
if it resolves you are ok...
(if you get an error aty this point means your dns server is problematic)
to see if IP is functioning correctly try using the IP address to get to the forums...

Last edited:
that would be 216.220.25.121 in case you don't get it to resolve

I have dial up and it sux
the computer in question has win ME
the working offline thing is unchecked

I typed 'ipconfig /all' in and something flashed on the screen too fast to read it

I have sygate personal firewall.. have had it for some time with no prob. I even tried disabling it but no go.

I typed in nslookup and got a message saying it could not be found. where is the > ?
I typed in 'nslookup>physicsforums' but that didn't work either

how do you use the ip address to get to the forum?

still no solution to this prob

You have to run ipconfig in the command prompt. START->RUN and type "command". Then type "ipconfig" in the window that pops up.

ok.. new at this stuff.. bear with me please and thx

that done, here is the result:

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ipconfig all
Windows IP Configuration
Command line options:
/All-Display detailed information.
/Batch [file] - Write to file or ./WINIFCFG.OUT
/renew_all - Renew all adapters.
/release_all - Release all adapters.
/renew N - Renew adapter N.
/release N - Release adapter N.

C:/WINDOWS/Desktop>

just do ipconfig. Forget the "all" part.

ok.. done
now I get:

Windows IP Configuration

0 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address..... : 4.129.87.236
Subnet Mak...... : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway .... : 4.129.87.236

can you "ping 4.129.87.236"

how do I do that?

Everything through the command prompt.

ok.. done
I got:

Pinging 4.129.87.236 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 4.129.87.236:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received =0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

problem still unresolved

I feel so abandoned :frown:

just to let you all know I finally got hold of someone at tech support who could help me. it was a networking setting that had to be changed; control panel / network / tcp/ip / properties / enable dns / host 'enter last name' / enter ip numbers / ok / restart. after rebooting everything worked fine. how that setting got changed I have no idea, but I think it was something on the server end that was changed. anyway thanks for all your efforts to help!

Oops, just realized there was a second page...*blond moment*

Well good you got it solved, but next time make sure to include if you are on a network, or dialup, or cable, etc. That's very important to know.

Since you're on dialup, it won't matter later... but... in the future, it's probably best NOT to give out your complete IP address. X-out parts as in aaa.xxx.yyy.zzz or something. Someone might poke around to see what ports you left open. In addition, there are databases that can locate your (approximate) geographic location.

thx, robphy

*puts tin hat on*

What could be causing the issue of not being able to access any websites?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be a problem with your internet connection, a firewall blocking access, a DNS server issue, or a problem with the website itself.

How can I troubleshoot this issue?

First, try accessing different websites to see if the issue is with a specific site or all sites. Then, check your internet connection and make sure it is working properly. If the problem persists, try disabling your firewall temporarily or using a different DNS server.

Are there any steps I can take to prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

Yes, there are some precautions you can take. Make sure your internet connection is secure and use a reputable antivirus software to protect against malware. Keep your firewall and operating system up to date to prevent any vulnerabilities.

Could the issue be related to my device or browser?

Yes, it is possible that there could be a problem with your device or browser. Try accessing the websites on a different device or using a different browser to see if the issue persists.

Is there a way to get more specific information about the issue?

Yes, you can try running a network diagnostic tool or contacting your internet service provider for further assistance. You can also check for any error messages or codes that may provide more insight into the issue.