1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help i hav no idea how to work out the design load

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    help i hav no idea how to work out the design load!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A typical floor layout of a reinforced concrete office building is shown in Figure 5. The
    reinforced concrete floor supports a permanent dead load G (ceiling services, floor finish and
    partitions, but not self-weight) of I.OkPa and superimposed live load Q of 3.0kPa. The slab
    thickness is I60mm and beams are 450mm deep and 300mm wide as shown in Section A-A
    in Figure 5. The concrete characteristic compressive strength (f"c) is 32MPa and steel yield
    strength (fsy) is 500 MPa. For the beams, the cover to the ligatures is 30mm.

2. Relevant equations
    (a) Determine the design load in kN/m based on the given loads and using an appropriate
    load combination;
    (b) Find the maximum design negative and positive moments along the beam using the
    simplified method;
    (c) Find the maximum shear forces along the beam;
    (d) Design the flexural reinforcement required to satisfy the maximum negative and positive
    design moments as calculated in part (b). Use N20 bars for the flexural reinforcement
    (curtailment details of reinforcement is not required);
    (e) Design the shear reinforcement to resist the maximum design shear force. Use NI2 for
    shear ligatures.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i atempted it and hav looked at the solution but cant seem to work out my dead loads
    heres the solution for part A

w*= 1.2G+1.5Q = 1.2(11.5 _2.1+3) + 1.5 *9 = 33.4 kNm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?