Are There Free Resources to Learn C++ and Java Programming?

• Thread starter name12
  • Start date
In summary, if you are new to programming, I would recommend starting with c, because it is not object oriented. Java is also a good language to start with, but it all depends on what you are looking to do.
name12
hi evry one i need easy way to learn c++ and Java language but i didn't know any
thing about programing language i don't have money to get some corse for that
please help i really need learn to make some work for me

Technology news on Phys.org
i just googled this site http://www.programmingtutorials.com
its pretty much a bookmark collection of online tutorials for some programming languages, seems enough to get you on the right path

regarding learning c++ and java, its going to be easy if you are familiar with object oriented programming.

If you are brand new to programming I'd advise you to start with c, since c is not object oriented.
C is great for you to learn how to handle basic structures and operations, with easy input/output access and not having to worry about objects in the beginning.
I've seem that in most recent basic courses java is often an option, but I believe that something structured like c or pascal still makes it easier and faster for one to really understand the basic concepts of programming

Last edited by a moderator:
I would advise you to start with C++ if your time is short. Though C++ is an object-oriented language, you can use structured programming like C style in C++. So, start with the structured portion of C++, then its object-oriented part. It'll save your time. But if you have enough time(self-teaching), then go for C at first. Certainly C is an ideal language for structured programming.

i know you explicitly said you wanted to learn c++ or java. you can check out .net/c# too, easier to setup than java, syntax is almost same as java. just wondering, which field in IT are you planning to get into?

thank every one for this help i had buy C# for dummies so i have little start in this
language when i have some question i will but it in this post
special thank

You may consider learning Java first. It all depends on what you are looking to do though. Object Oriented Programming (OOP) is becoming the new standard. If you are short on time, I would start with Java, C and C++ were never intended to be teaching languages. I learned C++, C, then Java, but I think it would have been much easier to start with Java. To get started with Java, download the latest JDK from the Java web site, and use the tutorial posted by kenewbie. When you start with Java it is helpful to use a text editor that will color code your code. I recommend TextPad, but since you need something for free, you could try jEdit. If you are feeling super adventurous you can try Netbeans, but I strongly recommend you don't start with it, but rather move to it later. If you want to start with C or C++, I recommend downloading Dev C++. Will compile C and C++ and is quite simple to use.

Java is great to start learning if you in debian (linux os) is really easy sudo apt-get install java6-jdk something like that

then get netbeans make it even easier
public class <filename>{
public static void main(String args[]){
System.out.println("Pwn Java! oh wait Hello World!");
}
}

There is not an easy way to learn programming, although some methods are easier than others. When one sets about "learning to program", it's important to understand what you really want to accomplish. Since you have two languages already picked out, then go ahead and find some free tutorials as another responder suggested. But I would caution that this may not be adequate for your use -- depending on what that is.

Writing a "hello world" program (generally everyone's first attempt at programming) does not make one a good programmer. I would caution you about thinking that you can write anything particularly useful, or large, or correct with only a free tutorial; that's what colleges with Computer Science degrees are all about.

Yeah but i find at university only shown you how to get started and i have learned all my programming myself, my friends in uni they do their programming homeworks and assignments but they can't actualy do a useful project where as i have worked on warsow engine and aTunes and working on my own projects etc.

Though i think it depends on the person on how self diciplined you are but going to uni is a really big help to get started once you learn one languages then like you can learn all other languages on your own soooooooo easy just it gets complicated learning other API's

the advantage of college is they also teach you programming language. once you know htat, you can basically learn java or anything pretty easily.

we started out wiht basic "hello world" stuff. but then we made programs that make all these calculations that an engineer might find usefull.
i'd say I am on a beginner-intermediate level. but i could do my own individual research and what not to bring myself up to a higher level programmer if i wanted to

As I implied earlier, just knowing how to write a piece of code isn't the whole story. For example, it's important to know the performance implications of using different ways to do things, to know how a particular language or implementation does its garbage collection (or not), to understand when one can lose precision in arithmetic operations, when to use an integer or real (float, whatever), or the importance of semaphores/locks, or whether variables are passed by value or reference or both and the implications, or how to gracefully handle errors (which can be up to 90% of the source code sometimes). Learning to use some debuggers, particularly those on Unix/Linux, is a major effort just in itself. (The newer generation of graphic debuggers makes this effort much easier but I don't know of a free one for Unix/Linux) Unless one is an avid reader of language "usage" manuals (not the language specification/reference manuals), these are things not easily learned.

The one other major area where beginning programers are deficient is in the program lifecycle and tool usage, e.g., the whole process of turning requirements into architecture into design into code, then debugging and arranging for maintenance. For example, how many self-taught programmers use a source code control system, which no professional would ever do without (except, perhaps, for a very small personal project, e.g., <2500 LOC).

But I do encourage anyone to learn programming. Programming is one of the few disciplines where "half way" won't do the job; it teaches clear and detailed thinking, as these attributes are required to do anything more than the most basic operations. Lastly, programmig is FUN and very rewarding. Starting off with a general understanding of some problem to be solved, working with the user to fully understand the requirements, then working out the architecture to provide the best software and hardware utilization, performance and reliability, then developing, debugging and releasing the code, all gives one a real sense of accomplishment.

But just as knowing how to use a hammer and saw doesn't make one a carpenter, being able to write a few lines of code doesn't make one a programmer.

Now that I've done my ranting: a newbie might consider starting with Microsoft's free C# Express. C# is nice because it is a pseudo-compiled language (compiled to a hypothetical machine), has an integrated development system (IDE) with editor, debugger and other necessary tools. And, because of its pseudo-compilation, virtually all run-time errors immediately put you directly into your source code editor with a (usually) meaningful error message, highlighting the actual source line that caused the problem and allowing it to be changed. With C#, a beginner stands a good chance of having something actually run if it compiles and links correctly, unlike C or C++.

Java is also good, but to my knowledge there's not a single package that one can get for free that contains a complete IDE (compiler, linker, editor, debugger and the other essential development tools) like Microsoft's C# package. Microsoft also has a C and C++ express, containing the same elements as the C# Express package, but a beginner will have much more difficultly learning the language since so many compile-time semantic errors will only be caught with some not-very-meaningful catastrophic run-time error. However, the C language is clearly the simplest of all the current batch of popular languages to learn. Unless you like LISP or APL or FORTH, that is (chuckle, chuckle).

Try Dr. Java...I believe it's free. Full IDE.

hello, i started learning c++ at the end of last year. I still only know a little bit and i haven't had time to any more because of school.

Anyways this is basically what you should do.
Get a free IDE for c++
like DevC+ bloodshed.net/download.html
or code blocks codeblocks.org

I would go with devc++.

Anyway after that you need to by a good book. There are many good books available and they are pretty cheap. Look on ebay for instance. And follow through. Make sure you get something that starts from the beginning. I used a book by "sams publishing"

But most of what i learned was from the internet. And these were some of the tutorials that i read through while also reading through the book.
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ (I used this one the most, never got to finishing it though)

And there are many more just search for them online.

AND Another important thing is joining an online "programming" forum
codeguru.com/forum/( this site is superb and the people there help you quick)
you should probably join about two forums just for the sake of learning faster.
another is daniweb.com/ (pretty good but not as good as codeguru in my opinion.)

Anyway i hope this helps. Use more than one resource to learn by.
Wish you the best.

later!:cool:<edit> what longone said is very true but to start off it doesn't require that much knowledge i would know because i simply tried random stuff and through trial and error they worked. and as i kept reading and learning more i understood the things longone just said. so to begin with don't be intimidated. Just work through.

Last edited:
C++ is definitely the way to go if you're new.

I have several pdf's that show you the essential stuff..if anyone needs them contact me.

1. How can I make learning easier for myself?

There are several strategies you can use to make learning easier. One way is to break down the information into smaller chunks and focus on one at a time. Another helpful tip is to use visual aids or mnemonic devices to help you remember information. Additionally, taking breaks and getting enough sleep can improve your ability to retain information.

2. What are some effective study techniques?

Some effective study techniques include creating study guides, practicing active recall by testing yourself on the material, and teaching the information to someone else. It can also be helpful to use different study methods, such as flashcards or mind maps, to keep the material interesting and engaging.

3. How can I stay motivated to learn?

Staying motivated to learn can be tough, but setting clear goals and breaking them down into smaller, achievable tasks can help. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the reasons why you are learning something and how it can benefit you in the future. Surrounding yourself with a supportive and positive learning environment can also help keep you motivated.

4. Are there any online resources that can make learning easier?

Yes, there are many online resources available that can make learning easier. You can find educational videos, interactive quizzes, and online courses on various topics. Many websites also offer helpful study tips and techniques to improve your learning. It's important to do some research and find reputable sources to ensure you are learning accurate information.

5. How can I make learning fun?

Learning can be fun and engaging if you find ways to make it enjoyable for yourself. Some ideas include turning studying into a game, using creative methods to remember information, or finding a study partner to make the process more social. You can also try incorporating your interests or hobbies into your learning, such as learning a new language through watching TV shows or reading books in that language.