Help! How to Burn CD-RW CDs with XP

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble burning CDs with their CD-RW drive and has tried multiple troubleshooting methods. The other person suggests checking for write permissions, playing CDs in the drive, and making sure the CDs are actually CDs and not DVDs. They also suggest installing drivers and checking the age of the CD-RW drive. Ultimately, the solution is to get a new CD-RW drive.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, I got a CD-RW drive.

I got CD-RW CD's.

I can't burn anything!

Ok, so I setup up the writing CD wizard that XP has. (I tried another one too.) I have the files I want to write onto the CD, but then it says no CD is in the drive!

I've tried with 5 of the 10 CD-RW CD's I got. None of them even spin in the drive. It's like nothing is there. I also tried with a CD-R CD, and that doesn't even work.

I even setup the speed to 2x and 4x, which the CD-RW CD's are suppose to be compatible with.

Nothing works.

Why is this happening?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you done the Idiot checks, these are usually the ones that stump me.

1. Does the CDRW Drive have Write Permissions?
2. Can you Play CDs in the drive?
3. Does XP recognise the device as a CDRW or just a CD?
4. Are they definitely CDs and not unmarked DVDs?

i know this sounds dumb but did you install the drivers for the device, connect it correctly. Have you tried any normal cd's and if so are they running?
Also just a sidenote but if its sony cd's i have had problems in the past...

I'd add one to Panda's Idiot chechs:

5. How old is your CD-RW drive?

I had similar problems too, with my old drive.

Panda said:
Have you done the Idiot checks, these are usually the ones that stump me.

1. Does the CDRW Drive have Write Permissions?
2. Can you Play CDs in the drive?
3. Does XP recognise the device as a CDRW or just a CD?
4. Are they definitely CDs and not unmarked DVDs?

1. How do I check that?
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, they are CD's.

radou said:
I'd add one to Panda's Idiot chechs:

5. How old is your CD-RW drive?

I had similar problems too, with my old drive.

5. 4-5 years.

JasonRox said:
5. 4-5 years.

Well, the solution to your problem is that you get a new one. :wink:

They've become so cheap (even the better ones), that it's always a good investition.

What is a CD-RW?

A CD-RW (Compact Disc ReWritable) is a type of CD that can be written to, erased, and rewritten multiple times. It allows you to store and transfer data, music, and videos.

How do I burn a CD-RW on Windows XP?

To burn a CD-RW on Windows XP, you will need a CD burner drive and a blank CD-RW disc. Insert the disc into the drive, open Windows Media Player, click on the Burn tab, drag and drop the files you want to burn, and click on the Start Burn button.

Can I add more files to a CD-RW after it has been burned?

Yes, you can add more files to a CD-RW after it has been burned as long as there is available space on the disc. However, keep in mind that adding more files will decrease the quality of the previously burned files.

How do I erase a CD-RW on Windows XP?

To erase a CD-RW on Windows XP, open My Computer, right-click on the CD-RW drive, and select "Erase this CD-RW" from the drop-down menu. This will erase all the files on the disc and allow you to rewrite it.

Can I play a CD-RW on any CD player?

Not all CD players are compatible with CD-RW discs. It is best to check the specifications of your CD player to see if it can play CD-RW discs. If not, you may need to use a regular CD-R disc instead.