Help! Struggling to Decide between Engineering & Physics Masters

• Thread starter pawan28612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the person is seeking advice on whether to pursue a combined undergrad and masters program in physics in India or to complete their undergrad degree in engineering in their current location. They are considering the potential risks and advantages of each option and are seeking insight from others. Additionally, the person mentions friends who are considering going to a foreign country for medical school and the potential challenges they may face in finding a residency in the US. The speaker ultimately recommends staying in the US to complete their undergrad degree.
pawan28612
HELP! iAM SO CONFUSED !

hey all,
i have a rather large problem, iam taking a year off of engineering right now but i recently learned of a combined undergrad masters program in physics that is in a university in mysore india, now to most ppl that wouldn't mean much but to give a comparision well they claim that they follow the cambridge syllabus.
now iam stuck between trying to decide if i should take the risk of going to India and doing this program (that gets me a masters) vs staying here and completing an undergrad in engineering.
so yeah iam really stuck it would be grt if u guys could give me some insight into wat i could possibly do.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
if that's a decison, i support u too

you got the boint

pawan28612 said:
hey all,
i have a rather large problem, iam taking a year off of engineering right now but i recently learned of a combined undergrad masters program in physics that is in a university in mysore india, now to most ppl that wouldn't mean much but to give a comparision well they claim that they follow the cambridge syllabus.
now iam stuck between trying to decide if i should take the risk of going to India and doing this program (that gets me a masters) vs staying here and completing an undergrad in engineering.
so yeah iam really stuck it would be grt if u guys could give me some insight into wat i could possibly do.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Im an undergrad who has many friends that are premeds, you are probably wondering what that has to do with your problem, well some of my freinds who are not doing so well in undergrad that are premeds are thinking about going to Greneda to get there M.D's, the only problem is that is that the M.D's from foriegn country's have a harder time finding a competitive residency,some don't even find residencie. What I'm trying to get to is that you should find out if you would be at a disadvantage by going to a foreign country then coming back here to work. I would rather stay here in the U.S and get the undergrad degree.

What are the main differences between an engineering and physics master's degree?

An engineering master's degree typically focuses on the application and design of technology, while a physics master's degree focuses on the fundamental principles and laws of nature. Engineering programs often have a more practical and hands-on approach, while physics programs tend to be more theoretical and research-based.

Which degree would be better for someone interested in research?

A physics master's degree would be a better fit for someone interested in research. Physics programs typically have a heavier emphasis on research and theoretical concepts, while engineering programs may have more coursework and practical projects.

Are there any overlapping courses between engineering and physics master's programs?

Yes, there can be some overlapping courses between the two programs, especially in the foundational mathematics and science courses. However, the majority of the coursework will be specific to each discipline.

Which degree would be more useful for a career in industry?

An engineering master's degree would be more useful for a career in industry. Engineering programs often have a more practical and applied focus, which aligns well with industry needs. However, some industries may also value the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from a physics master's degree.

Is it possible to pursue both an engineering and physics master's degree simultaneously?

It is possible to pursue both degrees simultaneously, but it would likely require a significant time commitment and may not be offered at all universities. It may be more common for students to pursue a dual master's degree that combines both engineering and physics courses. It is important to carefully consider the workload and time commitment before pursuing both degrees simultaneously.