Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help ID this rock

Tags:
  1. Apr 3, 2017 #1

sas3

Gold Member

I came across this rock and it just seemed out of place and was wondering if any one could help identify it.
    I am in the Western Upper michigan area.
    GEDC0125.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2017 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Two points:
    How far is it from a road or an old dirt path i.e. can someone drive to it in a truck?
    Upper Michigan was under a huge layer of ice not long ago - glaciers can pick up and move large rocks hundreds of miles.. Is this on a terminal moraine? Or is there a steep rock face uphill and above it?

You have to eliminate human dumping first. The out of place thing is easily handled by: glacial processes or humans. Sometimes rocks go for a ride down a steep rock face, too. And keep rolling for a bit.

I cannot tell if it is a conglomerate or construction waste. You decide. Long range rock identification is nearly impossible, sometimes up close is still tough to do, as well. Note: it has not been there terribly long - no lichens. So you can guess what I think. Compare it with the rock in the background.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted