What is the Unknown Bacteria with Unique Characteristics?

In summary, the bacteria being described in this conversation is a catalase positive, oxidase positive, glucose-fermenting, gas-producing, gram positive facultative anaerobe that is highly resistant to antibiotics and motile. It has been observed to grow at temperatures up to 103°F and forms small, white colonies that turn slightly yellowish or orange after 2-3 days. The colonies have a raised elevation and their margins vary from complete to irregular. The bacteria has a pungent odor with a scent of ammonia after several days and is also motile. It has been found to grow in various environments and is highly infectious.
Xinna
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/112257-help-me-identify-a-bacteria/its catalase +, oxidase +, ferments glucose and produces gas from the process, and is a gram + facultative anaerobe and its highly resistant to antibiotics and motile + and has been seen to grow up to temps of 103°F, colonies are white and turn slightly yellowish, orange after 2-3 days, small punctiform colonies. Colony elevation is raised. Colony margin varies from complete to irregular, odor is pungent and has an odor of ammonia after several days pictures shown in link

Biology news on Phys.org
4_0.png
10.png
4_0.png
10.png
40-.png
oil.png

Attachments

• 4_0.png
    4_0.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 707
  • 10.png
    10.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 628
  • 40-.png
    40-.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 608
  • oil.png
    oil.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 651
@Xinna -

Good, well written question. I do not know of any regular posters here who could help. Is this some kind of of assignment or is it part of your work?
The CDC has a pathogen identification service. Hospitals often refer this kind of problem to them.

Xinna said:
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/112257-help-me-identify-a-bacteria/its catalase +, oxidase +, ferments glucose and produces gas from the process, and is a gram + facultative anaerobe and its highly resistant to antibiotics and motile + and has been seen to grow up to temps of 103°F, colonies are white and turn slightly yellowish, orange after 2-3 days, small punctiform colonies. Colony elevation is raised. Colony margin varies from complete to irregular, odor is pungent and has an odor of ammonia after several days pictures shown in link
In order to not destroy christmas for all of us! Please don't forget post your findings here if you find the answer elsewhere.

I like the question but couldn't guess. I suppose you would need to consult som serious database.

Another clue to be used for "common things" is WHERE you sampled or found these initially? In a human or elsewhere?

And are all characteristics conifdent enough?

I coulnt see the scale. How many um are the rods?

/Fredrik

1. What is the best method for identifying a bacteria?

The most common and accurate method for identifying a bacteria is through a process called bacterial culture. This involves isolating the bacteria on a growth medium and observing its growth characteristics and biochemical reactions.

2. What are some common characteristics used to identify bacteria?

Some common characteristics used to identify bacteria include shape (such as spherical, rod-shaped, or spiral), arrangement (such as single, pairs, or chains), and gram staining (positive or negative).

3. How can I determine the genus and species of a bacteria?

To determine the genus and species of a bacteria, a variety of techniques can be used including DNA sequencing, biochemical tests, and serological tests. These methods compare the bacteria's characteristics to known species in order to identify it.

4. Can I identify a bacteria without a microscope?

While a microscope is often used in the identification of bacteria, it is not always necessary. Other techniques such as biochemical tests and DNA sequencing can be used to identify bacteria without the need for a microscope.

5. What are some potential sources of error in identifying a bacteria?

Some potential sources of error in identifying a bacteria include contamination of the sample, improper handling or storage, and misinterpretation of test results. It is important to follow proper procedures and use multiple techniques for a more accurate identification.

Back