Help Identify Unknown Song: Piano/Synth/Organ Riff

• Thread starter kenewbie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about identifying a song with a piano/synth/organ riff that sounds familiar. The participants have ruled out a few options but are still unsure of the source. Some suggestions were made, including a song from Child in Time, a song from Rush, and a version of the Castlevania theme song. The conversation also includes discussions about the style and origin of the song.
kenewbie
Ok, so this is way outside what is normally posted on this forum, but I am desperately trying to identify a song and I could use the help of a crowd.

The piano/synth/organ riff in this song reminds me so much of something that I am 99% sure it is stolen, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I have heard it (or something very similiar).

So far I have ruled out:

"Iron Butterfly - in a gadda da vida" ()
"Giorgio Moroder - Tears" ()
and
The theme song from the movie phantasm ()

I'm thinking it is either from a horror movie, or a sixties rock band, but those might very well be red herrings.

So, anyone have a clue? I'm going insane here.

k

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds a little bit like Jon Lord in Child in Time. I don't mean the riff is copied exactly, just the general sound.

Organ Donors...funny.

The monotonous phrase reminds me of the bridge in "Tom Sawyer" from Rush, just slower.

The rhythm part sounds like Axel F - Beverly Hills Cop. The guy looks like the observer from Fringe.

oooo oooo

It sounds a LOT like the Castlevania (NES) theme song.

This is a rock version, but at like 8s if you slowed it down like 200% it might be close.

IMHO

edit: I had to look up that song because it was awesome, and the original version on Endtroducing... is only like 2min long. What version is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best way to identify an unknown song with a piano/synth/organ riff?

The best way to identify an unknown song with a piano/synth/organ riff is to use a music identification app or website. These tools allow you to hum or play the riff on a virtual keyboard, and then search their database for a match. Some popular options include Shazam, Soundhound, and Midomi.

What if the music identification tools do not yield any results?

If the music identification tools do not yield any results, you can try searching for the lyrics of the song or any other distinctive elements of the riff. You can also try reaching out to friends or online communities to see if anyone recognizes the song.

Is it possible to identify a song based on a piano/synth/organ riff alone?

It is possible to identify a song based on a piano/synth/organ riff alone, but it may be more difficult compared to identifying a song with vocals or a melody. The more distinctive and memorable the riff is, the easier it will be to identify the song.

Can I use a music identification tool on a recording of the unknown song?

Yes, you can use a music identification tool on a recording of the unknown song. However, the quality of the recording may affect the accuracy of the results. It is best to use a clear and high-quality recording for the most accurate results.

Are there any other techniques or resources I can use to identify an unknown song with a piano/synth/organ riff?

Aside from music identification tools, you can also try using a musical instrument to play the riff and record it to see if any musicians or music enthusiasts can recognize it. You can also try searching for the song on music forums, social media groups, or online databases of sheet music. Additionally, hiring a professional musicologist may also be an option for more complex or obscure unknown songs.

Back