1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help!i'm a student and i'm having difficulty understanding the concept of wavefronts?

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    what is a wavefront? and what's the importance of studying it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: help!i'm a student and i'm having difficulty understanding the concept of wavefro

The concept of wavefront is used to describe wave propagation.
    It is defined as the locus of all adjacent points at which the phase of vibration of a physical quantity associated with the wave is the same. That is, at any point, all points on a wave front are at the same part of the cycle of their variation.
    shape of wave front depends on the nature of the source of light. A point source has a spherical wave front, a parallel slit has a cylindrical wave front and a parallel beam of light has plane wave front.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook