How Many Feet Are in a Light-Second?

• Thread starter wunderkind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the problem is to determine the number of feet in a light-second, which is the distance light travels in one second. To solve this, one must find the speed of light, which is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second or 186,000 miles per second. Then, through unit conversion, one can calculate the number of feet in a light-second.
wunderkind
I am stuck on a problem that is probably was easier than I am making it out to be, but I am wondering if anyone can help me out.

The question is: How many feet are in a light-second.

I would appreciate some help with this problem, 'cuz I have attempted this problem many times, but still am not getting the right answer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A light-second is the distance light travels in one second, so you should find out the speed of light to see how far it travels in one second. Most likely it will be given in meters/second, so this problem is just one of unit conversion (from meters to feet).

light travels really close to 300,000 kilometers per second. Do the math.

Or 186,000 miles per second and there are 5,280 feet in a mile (12 inches in a foot -- but you knew that).

What do I do if I'm stuck on a homework problem?

If you're stuck on a homework problem, the first thing you should do is take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem can help you think more clearly. If that doesn't work, try reaching out to a classmate or your teacher for help.

How can I prevent getting stuck on a homework problem?

To prevent getting stuck on a homework problem, make sure you understand the material before attempting the problem. Take good notes during class and ask questions if you don't understand something. Additionally, start working on the problem early so you have time to ask for help if needed.

What resources can I use to help me with a difficult homework problem?

There are several resources you can use to help with a difficult homework problem. You can look for similar problems in your textbook or online, watch tutorial videos, or seek help from a tutor or classmate. Your teacher may also have office hours or provide additional resources for difficult problems.

Is it okay to ask for help on a homework problem?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help on a homework problem. In fact, seeking help when you're stuck can be a great way to learn and improve your understanding of the material. Just make sure you're not copying someone else's work and that you understand the solution after receiving help.

What should I do if I'm still stuck after seeking help?

If you're still stuck on a homework problem after seeking help, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or approaching it from a different angle. If all else fails, don't be afraid to ask your teacher for additional guidance.