Help on Year 11 Volume & Surface Area of Cones Question

• Thread starter Nimbot96
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, the rate of change is 2.In summary, the conversation was about a Year 11 student asking for help with an assignment on rates of change and volume and surface area of cones. They provided equations and a graph to show the relationship between the variables. The student also asked for feedback on their attempt at the question and if they have correctly calculated the rate of change. They were given tips on how to improve their post in the future.
Nimbot96

Homework Statement

I am in Year 11 at the moment and just learned about rates of change. We have an assignment which dwelves into volume and surface area of cones. I just want to know if I am going on the right track for these questions. (because I am new to this forum, i might have not put this in the right place... move if necessary)

Q = Radius
θ = Angle of sector area (the part of the circle which becomes the cone without the base)

All angles HAVE to be in radians

Homework Equations

1) Find a formula in terms of θ and Q for the sector area in the domain 0≤θ≤2∏. This area is equal to the cone's surface area but without the base. Using excel or similar graphing package, calculate the values of the surface area for every 1/4 of a radian for the domain with Q = 1 unit. Plot the graph of Surface Area versus θ. Comment on the rate of change for this graph and identify the relationship between the variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at the question -

The formula found to calculate the sector area in the domain of 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2(pi) will be
½ × (θ × π/180) × r2

excel graph is attached -

In this graph, we can see the relationship between the three variables, surface area, the radius and the angle (in degrees). Looking at the line, it goes up periodically in a straight line. The radius is the distance between the middle to the edge of a circle (in this case, the circle used to make the cone). So as the radius is increased, the sector area would also increase. Because this is a straight line graph, it also shows that the relationship between the surface area and θ is constant. This means that as the angle of the arc in the circle increases, the more surface area would be exposed on the cone (without the base).

The rate of change can be defined as the speed at which a variable changes over time. In this case, the value which defines the rate at which the angle increases along with the surface area of the cone without the inclusion of the base (or the sector area of the circle). The rate of change is calculated by deriving the gradient of the graph. To calculate the gradient, the formula: rise/run is applied.

2-0.25/1-0.125 = 1.625 (seen on the graph)

So 1.625 is the average rate of change.

As this is a straight graph, the rate of change will remain constant. This means that as the circle’s radius and angle is increased in the sector, the sector area will increase at the rate of 1.625 every period.

Am i on the right track here? Do i need to explain anything else? Have I calculated the rate of change correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dont Worry guys... i got it... nver mind...

Some tips if you post again.
1. Spend some time on coming up with a meaningful thread title. "Help in a question" doesn't give readers any idea about the problem you're trying to solve. A better title might be "Volume and surface area of a cone".
2. If you say there is an attachment, be sure to provide it.
3. When you write expressions with fractions (such as 2-0.25/1-0.125), use parentheses around the entire numerator and the entire denominator.
Due to the order of operations, what you wrote means 2 - (.25/1) - .125 = 1.625, which is what you got. Since you were calculating the slope, it probably should have been (2 - .25)/(1 -.125) = 1.75/.875 = 2.

1. What is the difference between volume and surface area of a cone?

Volume refers to the amount of space inside a three-dimensional object, while surface area refers to the total area covered by the surface of the object. In the case of a cone, volume is measured in cubic units and surface area is measured in square units.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a cone?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. This formula can be easily applied to solve any volume question involving cones.

3. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a cone?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a cone is SA = πr(r + √(h² + r²)), where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. This formula takes into account the curved surface area as well as the area of the base.

4. Can you give an example of a volume question involving a cone?

Sure, for example, "A cone has a height of 8 cm and a radius of 5 cm. Find the volume of the cone." Using the formula V = (1/3)πr²h, we can plug in the values to get V = (1/3)π(5²)(8) = 104.72 cm³.

5. How are cones used in real life?

Cones are used in various real-life applications such as traffic cones, ice cream cones, and even the shape of some volcanoes. They are also used in engineering and construction for creating cones-shaped structures, such as chimneys and cooling towers, which have a higher volume-to-surface area ratio, making them more efficient.