Help with Polychlorinated Biphenyl Properties

• Thread starter devilkidjin
  • Start date
In summary, the properties of Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB) are difficult to find due to the fact that they are no longer legally sold or used in the US. However, some information can be found on specific types of PCBs, such as AROCLOR 1254, including a relative density of 1.5, no solubility in water, and a vapor pressure of 0.01 Pa at 25°C.
devilkidjin
um, this question may really sound not smart

but can someone find the property of Polycholrinated Biphenyl for me?

i tried chemfinder but i don't get the results of that specific compound
so if you can find a link, that will be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What property are you trying to find?

I did find one interesting comment -
Their melting points and flammability limits are unknown.
from http://www.nsc.org/library/chemical/polychlo.htm

Since PCBs are no longer legally sold or used in the US, it may be difficult to find the properties.

The is some description of types, but essentially no information on properties at - http://www.epa.gov/toxteam/pcbid/

For AROCLOR 1254
Relative density (water = 1): 1.5
Solubility in water: none
Vapour pressure, Pa at 25°C: 0.01

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with finding the properties of Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB). PCBs are a class of synthetic organic chemicals that were commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications, such as electrical equipment, hydraulic fluids, and pesticides. They were banned in the United States in 1979 due to their harmful effects on human health and the environment.

To find the properties of PCB, I suggest searching for scientific articles or databases such as PubChem or SciFinder. These sources will provide comprehensive information on the chemical structure, physical and chemical properties, and toxicity of PCB. Additionally, you can also check the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for specific PCB compounds, which can be found on the manufacturer's website or through a simple internet search.

One important property of PCBs is their persistence in the environment. They do not break down easily and can remain in the environment for many years, leading to bioaccumulation and potential harm to living organisms. They are also known to be toxic to humans, causing a range of health issues including cancer, immune system suppression, and reproductive problems.

Overall, it is important to handle PCBs with caution and to properly dispose of any products that may contain them. I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

What are polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)?

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a group of synthetic organic compounds that were commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, such as in electrical equipment, hydraulic fluids, and plasticizers. They are highly toxic and have been banned in many countries due to their harmful effects on human health and the environment.

What are the properties of PCBs?

PCBs are persistent, bioaccumulative, and toxic (PBT) compounds. They are resistant to breaking down in the environment and can accumulate in the food chain, leading to long-term exposure and potential health risks. They are also highly toxic to humans, causing a range of health effects, including cancer, reproductive disorders, and immune system dysfunction.

How are PCBs harmful to human health?

PCBs are harmful to human health through a variety of routes, including ingestion, inhalation, and dermal contact. They have been linked to various health effects, including cancer, neurological disorders, immune system dysfunction, and developmental disorders. PCBs are also known to disrupt hormonal systems and can affect reproductive and developmental health.

How can PCB exposure be avoided?

The best way to avoid PCB exposure is to limit or eliminate contact with products and materials that contain PCBs. This includes properly disposing of any old electrical equipment or products containing PCBs and avoiding contaminated areas or sources of PCBs. It is also important to follow safety regulations and guidelines when handling PCBs in industrial settings.

What are the current regulations on PCBs?

The use and production of PCBs have been banned in many countries, including the United States, under the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. However, PCBs are still present in the environment and can be found in old electrical equipment and other products. Proper disposal and handling of PCBs are regulated by government agencies to minimize exposure and potential harm to human health and the environment.