1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in choosing Math Electives

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm a 19 year old sophomore chemical engineering student. I'm highly interested in applied mathematics and wish to pursue a graduate degree in it. I have taken my usual first year (engineering) calculus courses i.e single variable / multivariable calculus. This year I will be taking Transform Calculus and Numerical Solutions of ODE and PDE. I am aware that I will have to take more math courses to be eligible for graduate school and I intend to take them up as additional subjects. So, heres where I need help.These are the maths course my uni offers and I find interesting, which ones should I take:

1. Probability and Statistics

2.Linear Algebra

3.Real Analysis

4.Mathematical Methods

5.Theory of PDE

6.Functional Analysis

7.Systems Programming

8.Advanced Numerical Techniques

Of course I can take at most 5-6 of them in my remaining 5 semesters. So which ones should I pick ? I can provide detailed content and syllabus if necessary. Please feel free to suggest other subjects if you think I should take them and I'll see if my college offers them or not. Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

You can never have too much math. However, if you are looking for maybe a more prioritized list, I might say something like this:

I believe many graduate programs require Real Analysis and Linear Algebra--take those for sure. If you are looking to focus on applied math, it would be good for you to be very comfortable with numerical methods as well.
    Depending on what applications interest you, there is a lot of demand for statistical skills, so a foundational understanding of Prob and Stats would be nice and also will complement some of the numerical methods and variational methods you might learn in graduate school.
    The other classes, you should take if you have time--but make sure you don't overload on the math. You want to have time to learn the material well if you hope to use it again later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook